Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

August 22, 2014, 12:57:19 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Networking to find a job
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Networking to find a job  (Read 2703 times)
freeform
settling in

« on: April 05, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »

Call it nepotism, the old boys club whatever - but many people never need to go near a recruitment or employment agency to find their next job - the get them through the people they know. I'd wager that just about everyone on here has got a job through a friend or friend of a friend at some point.

Consultants, contractors and freelancers do it all the time, so why not potential employees? I'd say add a bit of networking to your job hunting plan and you may be surprised by what comes up.

Start by making a list of everyone you know and then start making some calls.

Has anyone had experience / success with this?
Report to moderator   Logged

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
Maya
just starting

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:42:51 PM »

I think it is important to have the right connections, not necessarily to get the job (as there should be open and fair competition), but to know of the opportunities available. Networking is important in the wortkplacee, but I know that not all people are comfortable with it.
Betty
liking it

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 05:36:45 AM »

I agree, networking is extremely important.  In fact, my sister belongs to a group of young professionals that meet once a month at a local bar.  The purpose of this group is to mix and mingle with one another and discuss their professions.  I went with her one day and everyone is discussing where the work, what they do for a living, what their company does, etc.  I must admit, it was very informative and I got to meet a lot of interesting people.  I definitely would recommend someone to join this group if they were looking for a job.
lava
liking it

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 05:50:07 AM »

When I'm looking for a job, I visit previous employees where I did internships.  They know who I am and are familiar with my work.  I also network with some of my professors from college.  I figure they might be able to inform me of companies that have been on campus looking to hire students.  In fact, I even call relatives to find out if their company is hiring.  These are just some of my networking tactics.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:04:47 AM by lava » Report to moderator   Logged
simacaj
just starting

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 01:47:36 AM »

Networking is one of the best things to find new jobs.  I made a lot of friends in the same field I am in and when I lost my job they were very helpful.  They told me about jobs in their companies and also put in a good word for me.  I have never thought of netwrking as a bad thing.
Forum Management
Forum Management
Administrator
settling in

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:49:39 AM »

Interestingly we have a mini poll on the HireScores.com home page and this shows an overwhelming endorsement of networking as the best method of finding a job.

If you have a view on this topic - why don't you drop in and vote - here

Forum Management

HireScore.com Forum: bringing together recruiters, candidates and hiring companies

Have you visited HireScores.com?
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »

Interesting this.  I guess it makes sense and it is certainly the current buzz that it is all about networking - yet for me I think I would prefer to go to a Head Hunter and get them to do the hard work for me [and they can then also negotiate on compensation which I hate doing!].  Although I would also take natural opportunities to let people know I was looking so this means I am certainly not discounting networking. I guess one of the dangers of networking is that it might get back to your employer - which I guess be a good or bad things depending.

simacaj
just starting

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »

One thing important thing about networking is watch who you recommend for a job.  For example, I had a friend that needed a job.  He had the qualifications to fill a spot at my old company.  I spoke for him and recommended him for a job.  Well it never worked out.  It made me look bad to my boss and other co-workers. Just a tip!!!
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace