Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 30, 2014, 01:56:16 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)What is appropriate to discuss during an interview?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What is appropriate to discuss during an interview?  (Read 1872 times)
stanford
liking it

« on: April 04, 2007, 07:36:34 AM »

I realize that during an interview, you are to be honest and straight forward in your responses.  However, what do you do if you are applying for a job, but you have a medical condition that needs to addressed.  I know there are discrimination laws to protect people, but is there an appropriate moment to discuss the medical condition.  Should you say something during the interview or wait until they give you the job.  My  fear is, if I wait to tell them, they may feel as though I deceived them.  If I mention something during the interview, I am afraid it may hurt my chances of getting the job.  Any suggestions?
Report to moderator   Logged
lava
liking it

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:58:41 PM »

During an interview, it can be very stressful and I realize you want to make a good first impression.  With that said, if you need to disclose personal information about yourself, you should wait till the time is right for you.  There are laws that protect people with physical and mental disabilities in the workforce and your boss knows it. I personally would wait till I have the job.  There's no need to put yorself out there unless they are serious about hiring you.  Once you do decide to tell them, you may want to reassure them it will not affect your job perfomance. This will help build trust with your employeer and if anything does happen at work, they will understand why it happened, which can be very comforting.  Hope this helps.
Wayne
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 08:31:19 PM »

Is a health questionnaire attatched to the application form? If so you need to be honest on this as this can be used later to retract a job offer if you have not filled it in. I personally would say during the interview what the problem was. Every interview I have attended I have always been asked if I have any questions and this would be bthe time to address your worry.
I think the worst thing you can do is leave it, be accpeted for the job and hope the boss is understanding. Letting them know at the beginning surely is much better for you and them.
Greg
liking it

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »

I disagree Wayne, I think a candidate should wait to tell a perspective emlpoyee of their medical condition.  Lets face it, the person interviewing you will look at you differently the minute you disclose this personal information about yourself.  They immediately will not take the risk to hire you and will find something else wrong about you.  You need to first establish your credibility in the company and demonstrate that you are a good worker.  Once that is accomplished, you may want to tell them of your medical condition. 
freeform
settling in

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »

You need to first establish your credibility in the company and demonstrate that you are a good worker.  Once that is accomplished, you may want to tell them of your medical condition. 

I personally would wait till I have the job. 

I'm not sure if you meant wait until you were working there before telling them but I'd strongly advise against that - in my opinion they would feel - rightfully - deceived if you witheld something important. Although I'm no expert, if you were asked in a form or in the interview and did not disclose it that may be grounds for dismissal.

Personally, I'd get it out in the open if it might have a bearing on the job and as an employer would respect someone for doing so

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »

I have a son with a medical condition, I surely do let the employer know during the interview. This is because they can come back and state that you never told them before they hired you. This way they are fully aware of your condition and if they hire you then you and then give you a hard time about it then you are way prepared and can take proper action.

If they don't hire you then maybe they are not the place you really want to work after all. You can tell them without giving all the details, they only need to be informed. Then you have a clearer point to if you believe they did not hire you because of that reason.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace