Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 02, 2014, 10:10:13 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)How to handle the question, why should I hire you?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: How to handle the question, why should I hire you?  (Read 4583 times)
Tomtom
settling in

« on: August 11, 2008, 02:19:13 AM »

One of the most popular classic questions that is asked during an interview is, "why should I hire you"?  Many people have a terrible time trying to come up with a good answer for this tricky question.  Does anyone have a good answer they have used int he past? Were you happy with the results of your answer?
Report to moderator   Logged
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »

That's one that you can easily prepare for in advance, just in case it's asked. Ask yourself honestly, why 'should' they hire you? What are you going to bring to the job? What do you think they're looking for, and can you offer that?

I generally start with something like "I think I can bring what you're looking for. I have the skills (list a few), the experience (doing this or that), and the attitude/personality/etc that fits the atmosphere here." It's altered depending on the job and what I really do think I can offer. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »

I think that question is an open chance for you to (not in a pompous or arrogant way) list your character traits and relevant experience that qualify you for that job.

It's hard when doing that not to sound arrogant I think. For example when I've been for telephone jobs in the past, I have a great telephone manner, I'm polite, I really care about helping people etc etc.

There's a fine line between sounding sincere and sounding like David Brent.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:33:30 PM »

Management pointless speak do you mean by David Brent?

I agree that you could easily sound up yourself listing all your great points if you don't take the care to explain yourself in the right way.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »

Indeed. I remember an episode of The Office where his manager asked him what he'd done about the imminent threat of redundancies and because he'd done nothing (in fact taken on an extra staff member) he replied with things like, streamlining performance targets etc etc.

Is anybody else here a fan of The Office?

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »

I've never watched the office, which my friends berate me for, although I do love Ricky Gervais.
I always find this question difficult to answer, and even though I know the interview process is about flaunting your abilities I don't want to seem arrogant. I also worry that most people being interviewed for the position will have very similar answers prepared. What makes you stand out from the crowd? Has anyone given an answer that they felt separated them from the others?
Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »

I also have such a terrible time finding the proper answer to this question.  The best way to answer this question is to think of the skills that your proud to have and how it has helped you become a better employee.  These skills are what makes you stand out from the rest.

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »

I don't know if my answer is unique or "stand out from the crowd" (that'll be for you all to judge) but interviews I've had in the past few years have mainly been for things like call centre jobs. I answered this question with the truth, that I want to spend my days helping people. It might sound a bit naive but it's true. I'd say something like, when that customer speaks to me I'm going to do all I possibly can to help them find out or get the exact information or help that they need.

I imagine though that in many ways putting the customer first is not really what's required in a call centre. It's more about putting the company you work for, it's profits and the call handling time first so who knows how I did.

I didn't say the last bit by the way.

Drake
liking it

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »

Hey Robin, that's a good answer.  I'd hire you!   Grin

Showing someone your sincerity and willingness to help others is something not many people do these days.

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 12:29:29 PM »

Nice  Roll Eyes.

That's about all I have.

philipj
just starting

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:55:17 AM »

Thanks to all for sharing your information.It is a very popular question many interviewer ask this question in interview.I think this information you shared will be very beneficial for those who are preparing for an interview.

study in usa

student visa usa
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace