Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 16, 2014, 01:51:03 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Common mistakes on resumes
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Common mistakes on resumes  (Read 2178 times)
Greg
liking it

« on: April 02, 2007, 06:16:59 AM »

I realize there are several things that need to be included in a resume.  However, are there any common mistakes that candidates should avoid when writing their resume? I think one common mistake is putting information on the resume that is not related to the job you are seeking. Job recruiters want to quickly look over the resume and pick out pertinent information about you.  This information should match the qualification they are looking for.  Do you agree?  Are there any other common resume mistakes to avoid? 
Report to moderator   Logged
Betty
liking it

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:28:02 AM »

Hi Greg, I agree employees want to see a resume that matches the qualifications they are looking for in a candidate.  There is no need to include information if its irrelevant to the job you are appying for.  Other common mistakes include using font that is too small.  I once submitted a resume with small font because I wanted my resume to fit on one page.  That was a mistake because the small font made it very difficult to read my resume.  As a result, I was never called in for an interview.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »

Don't forget to proofread your resume or have a friend do it for you! You'd be amazed at many typos and grammatical mistakes slip through the cracks and make an unfavorable impression.
freeform
settling in

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »

Just like fonts that are too small, huge font sizes really put me off - they seem childish

Regarding irrelevant info I couldn't agree more. Generally (here come the marketing theory) people are more inclined to notice things they don't want and therefore disregard the whole rather than pick out the parts they do want.

If I gave someone a list of 5 things about a person - 4 relevant and 1 completely irrelevant - the 1 irrelevant thing is what gets noticed more often and is most likely to be remembered

I'd say you need to spend a few minutes tailoring every resume you send out to the business and position you're applying for.

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
simacaj
just starting

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 02:13:40 AM »

I would also agree that irrelevant information is not accpetable.  Also I would carefully look at resumes to make sure grammar and spelling is correct.  I have seen resumes with misspelled words and it looks horrible.  Have someone proof read your resume before sending it out. 
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

I can't disagree with anything said here - a useful list is starting to form which is great.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace