Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

August 22, 2014, 04:55:39 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Working over Christmas
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Working over Christmas  (Read 1786 times)
LouiseA
just starting

« on: December 02, 2008, 10:44:18 AM »

I've just found out I have to work over Xmas! Any else got a job that requires them to work over the festive season? Please don't say I'm suffering alone!

Kind regards

Louisa

Brighton jobs | Worthing jobs | Southampton jobs
Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »

Thankfully not this year for me. Though last year at a taxi company I used to work for I had to do a 4pm till Midnight shift. Working alone doing two peoples jobs because they didn't want to pay two people double. It wasn't fun.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »

We get triple pay for Xmas day so usually get more people wanting to work than they need. They put the names in a hat. I wouldn't mind but haven't offered this year.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:33:35 PM »

Louisa when exactly are you working? Is it just Christmas day or Boxing day as well? Did you have any say in it? I wouldn't mind because family Christmas' have never really been my thing. The option for me isn't there though. I'd jump at the chance of triple pay.
Pepper
liking it

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

I worked Christmas day as a home health care aide a few years ago.  I basically spent the day taking care of an elderly person as family members came in periodically to drop off a Christmas gift. 

Normally I didn't mind, but I think I should have been paid extra for working on a holiday.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »

I'm suprised you didn't get double pay for that.

Though at least you were doing something nice?

Well I guess nice is subjective, but I mean something worthwhile. You were looking after somebody and that's lovely.

Pepper
liking it

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »

Yes, I agree.  I should have been given extra pay.  Another thing that bothered me about that day was I'm suppose to be taking care of my elderly client, right?  Well, later that day we took a ride to visit her daughter and husband and had dinner at their house.  That was nice, but after dinner they stuck me in the kitchen to do everyone's dishes!  My job is to take care of my client.  Not be the maid.  I could have said something, but I was shocked and didn't want to cause trouble on Christmas Day.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »

That's tricky. And not very nice.

Though in doing a job you weren't there to do and NOT saying anything actually says lots about you and your character I think.

I hope that made sense.

Pepper
liking it

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »

Hi Robin,

Yes that does make sense.  Hopefully, it says something good about my character  Smiley

I suppose it really bothered me because I wasn't even asked to do the dishes.  Instead I was expected to do them.  People just started giving me their dirty plates and the daughter gave me instructions on how to load the dish washer.  It was very awkward for me. 

It would have been better if she would have said, "Would you mind helping us with the dishes?"  Of course, I would feel better about the situation because I was asked.  As a result, I always make a conscious effort to ask people instead of telling them to do something.  I hope to never make someone feel the way I felt that day. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:04 AM »

Hi Pepper,

I think it does say lots about you.

Is it possible that the family of the person you were looking after (or, "your client" which is probably the new PC term) didn't know you weren't to do general household chores?

I think you're outlook is positive about not wanting to ever make people feel the way you did that day. At least you've learnt something from a bad situation.

It sounds rather trite but somebody once said that there are no bad situations simply learning curves.

Triteness aside this is how I TRY to look at things that happen to me.

I ask myself, what can I learn from this? Even if I wasn't wrong in the slightest.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace