Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 22, 2014, 09:10:44 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Young, self made billionaires
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Young, self made billionaires  (Read 3027 times)
MaryG
liking it

« on: March 06, 2008, 02:51:16 AM »

With the help on the on-line world, many young people are becoming very wealthy.  One of the most popular web sites today is facebook.com.  This web site was founded by Mark Zuckerberg, 23, and he has become the youngest ever self-made billionaire.  He is said to be worth $1.5 billion just four years after launching his social-networking site. Many young people dream of following in his footsteps.  To me, getting rich through the internet is a very tricky endever.  He is extremely lucky to launch the most popular website among young people today. 
Report to moderator   Logged
lava
liking it

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »

The internet has caused several young people to get rich quick.  The founders of yahoo.com were also two young guys who came up with an idea and today the company is worth billions.  Many people dream of creating an on line web site that generates a lot of money.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult to achieve this dream and a lot of time and research is needed to make a good idea work.
Nickh
just starting

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:31:14 PM »

I completely agree with both of you. At first an online business seems a great idea as it is perceived that you can start with reduced costs etc. With an increase in internet access and faster connections than ever before, the competition within the online market place is significantly growing. There seems to be one massive market, and multiple companies competing for the space.  This is where a strong USP gives you the edge, but as we know almost everything can be replicated online, unless you have a strong protected brand, itís a tough world!

Sunny
liking it

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »

Yes, I agree.  Many people who are looking to start an online business will look at their competitors and try to make a duplicate web site, but with a different twist.  I see it happen all the time.  There are several web sites on every topic and category.  The tough job is to make a web site that is user friendly, informative, and creates asocial network for viewers to keep coming back.
Greg
liking it

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »

I am on facebook all the time.  It's a great place to connect with people, share pictures, join groups, and express yourself.  What about myspace?  Does anyone have an account there?  One of the problems with myspace was too many sex pr editors were using it to find kids. Facebook has more features to protect minors. It seems to be more popular than myspace.

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:28:58 PM »

Facebook is very addictive & I really have to discipline myself not to check it while I'm working. Before you know you've wasted ten minutes. Thankfully when I need to be I can be very disciplined. I have a My Space (www.myspace.com/robintetley) if anyone's interested though I hardly check it anymore since Facebook does everything My Space does and more.

Jenna
liking it

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:30 AM »

Hey Robin, I'm on my facebook account all the time.  It's amazing how fast the time goes when all you want to do is just check it.  I never had the desire to set up a myspace account.  It wasn't until my friends encouraged me to start an account on facebook that I became "addicted".  Now I understand how Mark Zuckerberg became a self made billionaire.  What a great concept he created.  Does anyone know what he's doing now?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:10:25 PM »

Allegedly he nicked the idea from someone he used to work for. There's an ongoing court battle in the states. Or I think ALLEGEDLY he took some of the ideas of this other social networking site and built into Facebook. Maybe the status update thing.

lava
liking it

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »

I wouldn't be surprise that Mark Zuckerberg took someone Else's idea and profited from it.  How do you think Bill Gates became rich?  IBM needed an Operating System and Bill gates bought DOS from a small business and all the copyrights for $50,000.  Today he profited from it and is now one of the richest men in the world!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »

I didn't know that about Bill Gates. I guess that's how many things happen though. We were talking about films in another discussion but George Lucas wanted to make the sequels to the original Star Wars movies so he persuaded the studio to let him keep the profits from any merchandise sold. At that time there really was no such thing as merchandise. He made those movies independently believe it or not. He saw the film studios as a bit of an evil empire and now he runs that empire as he said in an interview. He just about invented movie merchandise.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 12:28:44 PM »

Money makes the world go round. sadly.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »

Money does make the world go around and if you spread the wealth amongst everybody then we'd all have enough to get by and there's be no poverty or starvation.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »

To quote somebody else, sadly, though on a different angle, we do not live in a perfect utopian world where everything is equal. I agree there's a lot of greed and that's possibly what's caused this financial problem we're in. Communism (IMHO) could never work because people at the end of the day are greedy. The people at the top in Communisms hey day in the USSR for example had more than the people at the bottom. That kind of proves my point. Personally for me the Utopia is gonna be heaven or the next life. If you believe in that.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »

And look at Russia now...
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »

Russia?
Pages: [1]