Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 31, 2014, 10:08:04 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)Cover letters
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Cover letters  (Read 4898 times)
MaryG
liking it

« on: March 30, 2007, 02:29:25 PM »

In another thread about resumes, Wayne made the point that your resume should address the questions "why should we employ you?". While I don't disagree at that advice and it can be accomplished within your resume, I actually think it's a question that should specifically be addressed in a application cover letter. The cover letter is your first impression, unless of course you have walked in to hand your resume to your potential boss. In that regard a good cover letter should include a brief introduction and a paragraph stating exactly what you can bring to the position that is unique from the skills of the other candidates. That way you've provided a summary of your skills before your resume has even been seen.
Report to moderator   Logged
lava
liking it

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »

I agree with you MaryG.  The cover letter should introduce yourself and explain why you are best suited for the job.  Cover letters give the reader a quick indication of who you are, what you can do for the company, and what type of skills you have.  You may also want to briefly mention your background and goals. This is your opportunity to shine and be noticed. Don't be generic.   
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:04:01 PM »

I agree, although your resume ultimately tells the person why they should hire you, many employers only read the cover letter before the interview. it should be a highlight of your skills that are related to the job you are applying for and you should sell them with your letter.
lilo
just starting

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »

Hi, newbie here.
I've read your arguments but you're not entirely right. The resume has such an area ("Why should we employ you?") but implicitly expressed. It's the resume career objective which answers this question.
http://www.cvtips.com/CV_career_objective.html
Also, the cover letter is the second impression Cheesy Of course, it is advisable that it is an outstanding second impression. The CV remains the first eye catcher, and the cover letter is the "magic wand" Smiley

Career adviser
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »

Hi Lilo and welcome to the forum

I was interested to read your comments about including a career interests/goals section in your actual CV as opposed to the cover letter.  I would be more inclined to do this in the cover letter since it allows for greater customisation leaving the CV more of a description of 'fact' than aspiration.  So was interested to read that your experience suggested something different.  I wonder if it may depend a bit on the job area and candidate as well.  So for someone setting out then this might be a good way to put some substance into the CV for example. 

I had a quick look at your site bit could not find an actual CV example with this is - do you have one?  It would be interesting to explore this area a bit further

Once again, really glad to have you join the forum

lilo
just starting

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »

I was interested to read your comments about including a career interests/goals section in your actual CV as opposed to the cover letter.  I would be more inclined to do this in the cover letter since it allows for greater customisation leaving the CV more of a description of 'fact' than aspiration.  So was interested to read that your experience suggested something different.  I wonder if it may depend a bit on the job area and candidate as well.  So for someone setting out then this might be a good way to put some substance into the CV for example. 

Hi, Lisette and thank you for the warm welcoming!

Yes, the presence of a career objective depends on the job the candidate is applying for. You will not see a career objective if one is applying for a seller in a shop position (well...not necessarily at least). The Resume should have a well established objective when one is applying for a position in a great company. It is part of an etiquette and part of a first impression if you want.
It is true that the career objective is better seen and developed on in the cover letter accompanying the CV, but I still think there should be an area destined to it in the CV itself. It doesn't have to be too detailed at all. Just to point out the intention and the resources to sustain that intention.
Check out some resume samples and check the Human resources related ones for example:
http://www.cvtips.com/resume_samples.html

Should you be interested in something else as well, I'll be around Wink
Thanks again for welcoming me!

Career adviser
britannia64
just starting

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:01 PM »

I was told by the head recruiter for HSBC in the UK that if you don't have a strong cover letter your CV will never get read.

syed2011
just starting

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »

Hi, newbie here.
I've read your arguments but you're not entirely right. The resume has such an area ("Why should we employ you?") but implicitly expressed. It's the resume career objective which answers this question.
http://www.cvtips.com/CV_career_objective.html
Also, the cover letter is the second impression Cheesy Of course, it is advisable that it is an outstanding second impression. The CV remains the first eye catcher, and the cover letter is the "magic wand" Smiley

Sorry, but i dont agree completely with you, we all know that cover letter is the first impression which allows the recipient to get the first hand and instant information on the detailed contents of the attached letter or document. It acts as a marketing tool for the purpose of the letter or the attached document. In addition, a letter also serves as a communication tool for intangible assets that are not available through the letter on the actual content.

and

I too agree with MaryG, your cover letter should include brief intro but in a compact form to describe an applicant skills before opening attached  Cv.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:23 AM »

Its so hard to get a covering letter just right.
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »

They really should be short and sweet pointing the reader to the attached CV.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »

I guess that's right I'm just never to sure exactly what's right to include. Personal or job information I mean.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace