Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 16, 2014, 11:33:18 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)The overuse of certain words on resumes
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: The overuse of certain words on resumes  (Read 4360 times)
lava
liking it

« on: February 01, 2008, 01:47:29 AM »

In my opinion, many job seekers overuse certain words or phases on their resumes.  These include words such as, strong communications skills, team player, and speaks with existing customers on a regular basis.  These words seem so generic and boring.  Is there any way to say the same thing, with more pizazz?
Report to moderator   Logged
Betty
liking it

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:34:26 AM »

To create a vivid and attractive resume you should use provide concrete information to explain why your productive, how you motivated employees, or how your a team player.  If you can provide this information, you'll stand out from your competitors and hopefully get the job.
misch.chief
just starting

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »

You should never be repeating words on any important piece of literature, and that includes resumes - I wouldn't look kindly on it!  Angry
Timber
liking it

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »

The trick with resumes is to use creative words that might mean the same, but have different meanings.  For example, you might say on your resume that you have good communication skills.  Another way to say the same thing but with a little twist is, you handle customer disputes on a daily basis. Both scenarios involve communication, but one explains how you use your communication skills at work. 
Bordin75
just starting

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »

Repetition of unnecessary words in your resume will just make your CV odd. This is one of the things employers hate to read or see from the resume of the applicants. Make sure that before you pass it, it should be well-polished containing all necessary information related to the job you want to apply for.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:11:50 AM by Bordin75 » Report to moderator   Logged

steven123
just starting

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »

Of course, every CV differs depending on the role. However, my general advice would be that if you can say it with less words, you should. Getting the bulk of the content there is that hard part. Stripping out banal or repetitive words shouldn't actually take too long.

Prompt and professional IT Recruitment
Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 01:10:38 PM »

If you cant write a good CV that reads well you wont get an interview.

bsforrester80
just starting

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »

I have always been advised to write examples of how I have used certain skills. Rather than say 'strong communication skills' demonstrate how I have done that in my work of during my college education.
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »

I have always been advised to write examples of how I have used certain skills. Rather than say 'strong communication skills' demonstrate how I have done that in my work of during my college education.

This makes no sense so you have weak communication skills  - you're fired!
bsforrester80
just starting

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »

Why doesn't is make sense??

Demonstrate how I had strong communication skills in my place of work or college education? Rather than just saying it.

You can't read - you're fired!  Wink

Now both of us are unemployed...........
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:20:39 PM »

Why doesn't is make sense??

Demonstrate how I had strong communication skills in my place of work or college education? Rather than just saying it.

You can't read - you're fired!  Wink

Now both of us are unemployed...........

Nope just you who is fired!   "in my work of during my college education"  You cant read you said OF not OR!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »

I would imagine this was a typo as opposed to not being able to read.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace