Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 29, 2014, 11:42:45 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)What should I do? Job Advice needed!
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What should I do? Job Advice needed!  (Read 1816 times)
Greg
liking it

« on: March 24, 2007, 08:49:25 PM »

Hi Everyone,

For the past 10 years I have been working as a medical technician at my local hospital.  I loved my job! I was so Happy!  I enjoyed coming to work everyday until things changed.

My boss left the job and was replaced by a new boss that has changed the entire way the department operates.  Everyone complains about his poor communication skills.  For example, if you approach him and ask a simple question, he doesn't want to discuss it.  He simply snaps and you and says, "send it to me in an email" even though your standing right in front of him!  He also has come up with crazy new policies such as, we have to sent him a daily email detailing our schedule for the day.  The problem with this, its very time consuming!  We have patients coming in the morning and we need to set things up for them.  If we are running late then the entire day is off schedule.  We could send him our schedules the day before, but at the end of the day we're tired and want to go home.  I feel trapped in my job!  I hate going to work and having to see him. 

I suppose you all think I should quit my job and find another one.  That's easier said than done.  I live in a small community, there are not many places to look for work.  I could move, but one of my children have a disability.  The people who help care for him are excellent.  He has bonded with them and is in the process of making excellent progress. I can't take him away from this! I really like being a medical technician.  If only my new boss didn't act like a tyrant.

I have no clue how to solve this problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Report to moderator   Logged
Serious
just starting

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »

This is hard - poor you.

Not sure I am going to be that much help but whatever you do, don't quit the job. Even if you decide to leave, finding a job when you are in a job is a lot easier, than when you are not in one.  Also I am pretty cautious about telling someone at an interview that the reason for leaving is a dreadful boss which you can avoid if you are still working but becomes harder if you are not.

It sounds like there are a few of you - is there anyway you and a couple of others can talk to HR - you do not even have to position this as a compliant - just asking them for advice on how to manage the situation which has the benefit of alerting them to the problem with out looking like you are moaning.

Let's see if we can get some other ideas flowing - I do not envy you
Seb
just starting

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:23:52 PM »

Another option is to talk to the guy direct but this could be risky. And if you agree as a group to do this believe me you need to count on the others ducking out.  My brother worked in insurance - a while back now - and there was a big group of them - about 10 - who were all badly paid.  Anyway they took some time out and came up with a plan - and actually my brother was not the ring leader who got the thing going.  Anyway, the idea was that on the Monday they would all hand in their notice - explaining that this is coz the pay was so low and saying they could only stay if they got a 15% (or whatever - I can't remember) increase.  The idea was that if the whole team quit at the same time the employer would have to do something since there was nobody else.  Anyway my brother being a guy who does what is agreed wrote up his letter of resignation and handed it in first thing Monday.  Well who's to know, nobody else did, and they let him go (no notice either!). 

As it turns out this was a good thing for him coz he started another career and has never really looked back - but it has always been a salutory tale for me.

So it is OK to decide for yourself but if you are planning a group action take care that it is a group action and not you sticking your neck out on your own.
lava
liking it

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:36:46 PM »

Hi Greg,

Sorry to hear your situation.  It must be very difficult for you to be at work every day.  I suggest taking your complaints to a higher level of management.  Have you ever decided to discuss your complaints to your boss's boss? You may want to gather your fellow emloyees and together approach upper level of managment.

If all else fails, sometimes the best way to deal with your boss is to simply do as you are told and avoid any interaction with him. You need to realize that its not you, but its your boss's way of dealing with people.  Your boss may also have issues going on outside the office that is causing him to act this way.  Give it some time and maybe things will eventually change. 
Greg
liking it

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »

Thank everyone.  You are all giving me great job advice.  Since I last posted things have gotten better, but he still has his moments when he snaps as people.  I suppose thats what really bothers me the most.  We all work hard in the department and being around someone with a poor attitude can ruin your day.  What makes it even harder is when I come home from work.  I'm so irritable that its hard to relax and sit down with my family. I'm ready to start an argument with my wife just so I can let off steam from putting up with my boss.  She's the innocent bystander.  If nothing at work changes soon, I'll be forced to seriously think other options.
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:30:53 AM »

Easy to say, hard to do but you might want to think about doing something in between work and home which gives you a chance to 'chill out'. Drinking is a bad idea  Smiley but sport is actually quite good - and exercise kicks off endorphins which have a positive effect as well.  Some people use the commute to make the transfer as well and if you can walk to work a good 20 minute walk can also work wonders.  If you use transport think about trying out some meditation type techniques or other 'positive thinking' things [but not if you drive!].

This might all sound a bit extreme and for some people not necessary or not appealing but for others it can be a really useful technique and contribute to personal and family wellbeing.

attagirl
settling in

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »

I am glad to hear that things are starting to look up some. I would like to say that even though you were having difficulties, think of how he was as well. This could have been more stressful for him, a new place to work, people he did not know. Trying to work into a new position while finding what works for everyone including himself is just something that happens.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace