Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 23, 2014, 11:11:10 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)Do you have a Question?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Do you have a Question?  (Read 2137 times)
netpal
just starting

« on: March 23, 2007, 08:54:06 AM »

In most interviews I have faced till date this was always asked. Generally I have asked about the company, the remuneration and the job profile (if not already mentioned). Am I missing out any important question here?
Report to moderator   Logged
HRManager
just starting

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »

I would tend to avoid the terms and conditions questions (remuneration, benefits etc). Often the interviewer is not in a position to answer in any case and it looks a bit 'short term' better to ask about the organisation. Some questions to consider -
  • What are the top challenges for the job in the first 6 months
  • I am keen to get a feel for working for xyzCo and wondered if you could briefly describe the organisation culture
  • What is the busness strategy for the longer term

HR Manager
Greg
liking it

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:03:28 PM »

I have been told when the interviewer asks, "if you have any questions" it is always best to say something.  The reason is it shows your interest in the company.  Showing an interest means you are serioius about getting the job.  You may want to ask if there is an opportunity to progress in the company.  This demonstrated your committment to stay with them for a long time.  Another good question is if the company has a pension plan.  This again shows you're intersted in staying with the company for the long run.  You may even have a question during the interview.  Just try rememering it and address it when the opportunity arises. 
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 08:19:12 AM »

I agree that it is generally a good thing to have a 'good' question lined up.

For the UK I would avoid the question on the pension plan (very different set up to the US).

I think, however, that you need to be sensitive to the interviewer(s) as well.  If they are clearly running over time etc then best not to drag out into a bunch of long questions. Sometimes it works to say that you do have questions but they will wait for later in the process [but if you say this make sure you have some in mind in case they ask you to cover now]. 

I would also agree with HRManager - avoid all terms and conditions type questions.

Chevy
liking it

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »

I would certainly ask about the responsibilities of the position and the hours you would be working. Even if you have a general idea of what the job entails there may be details you are missing. I've always asked about how I would be trained for the position if I were the chosen candidate and it may also be helpful to ask about simpler things such as dress code.
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »

I agree re the responsibilities - but given you are likely to have some sort of specification this might be well phrased as what do you see as the critical deliverables, first 6 months challenges etc - since this gives the sense that you have read the job write up and are keen to get going.  Clearly if you have any questions on the responsibilities as but my advice is that detailed questions/concerns/conditions should wait until after you have the formal job offer.  It is once you have the offer that you can really explore if you want it.

In terms of hours - a casual - what are the general hours - works but be careful not to appear as a clock watcher. This is, of course, the issue with a set piece interview - we have to be careful that people do not draw the wrong conclusions from our expressions of interest since we will not necessarily get the chance to put them right.

If you are applying through an agency and you think something did not necessarily come across how you hoped be sure to make immediate contact with them and explain since they could well get a chance to put this straight.

freeform
settling in

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:02:54 AM »

I'd agree on the terms points as made above but would suggest the best questions are the ones you actually want answered.

If you want to know what it's like to work there - ask about the culture

If you want to know how you can progress - ask about that

If you want to know about opportunities for training - that's the question

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 06:20:14 PM »

I have been told when the interviewer asks, "if you have any questions" it is always best to say something.  The reason is it shows your interest in the company.  Showing an interest means you are serioius about getting the job.  You may want to ask if there is an opportunity to progress in the company.  This demonstrated your committment to stay with them for a long time.  Another good question is if the company has a pension plan.  This again shows you're intersted in staying with the company for the long run.  You may even have a question during the interview.  Just try rememering it and address it when the opportunity arises. 

This is what I have always been told as well. I generally ask what I want to know that they have not answered in the interview questions already. Example: I will ask about what they are looking for in a person to fill this position, or is there room for advancement or something like that.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace