Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 22, 2014, 10:32:26 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)The secret of a successful career
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: The secret of a successful career  (Read 2139 times)
Top Boss
just starting

« on: March 19, 2007, 02:53:10 PM »

While many of us will have thought long and hard about which career path to take, here are a few tips :-

- Ensure that it is a subject which you enjoy.
- Ensure there is a market for your chosen career.
- Is the remuneration acceptable?

If you choose a career for the longer term, remember that you could end up doing it for 40 years plus.  Ensure it is something you will enjoy!
Report to moderator   Logged
freeform
settling in

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »

I'd completely agree that you should look to do something you enjoy but I'm not sure you need to think 40 years down the road. If I was doing the same thing for 40 years I'd go crazy no matter how much I initially enjoyed it.

Personally I think careeers can, and should, be much more flexible - different industries, different roles, employed, freelance, working from home ...... variety helps to keep you fresh and introduce you to new ideas.

I'd say constantly learning new things and being exposed to new thinking is certainly a secret of success.

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
Betty
liking it

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:47:14 AM »

I think choosing a career can be very stressful because you have to spend thousands of dollars going to college and hope you have made the right decision.  The problem I have regarding careers, is many people go to college when they are young and have no clue what they want to do with their life.  Its not until they have experienced life and learned about themsleves that they can make an educated decision on what career path to take.
netpal
just starting

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:06:37 AM »

I think if one has the job satisfaction then one can always motivate self to perform better and better. I have seen candidates going for less salary jobs where they expect they will have job satisfaction.
stanford
liking it

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 06:06:04 AM »

In my opinion, the secret of getting successful career is networking with other professionals.  In fact, the entire nation is based on networking and political favoritism.  Many people network in social settings, especially in country clubs, church, cigar clubs, health clubs, and bars.
netpal
just starting

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »

Yes Networking is possibly the best career option at this age. Now everything is depending on networking. Be it Mobile technology or in Computers.
Greg
liking it

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:41 PM »

I think one of the factors that contribute to a successful career is to realize it takes a long time to establish a career that you are sucessful in.  Many people just starting out in the job market feel they will reach their dream job instantly. This never happens.  It takes time, dedication, and lots of patients.  Your first job may not be desirable, but you need to use it as a stepping stone to new and better opportunities.  If you have this mind set, you will one day reach the career you long for.  Does anyone else agree? 
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace