Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 20, 2014, 04:59:04 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)SPAMMING
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: SPAMMING  (Read 2248 times)
Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« on: June 27, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »

It is about time someone got to grips with the amount of spam on this forum. 
It is reaching plague propertions and is ruining the expericne of those that regularly post.

If you allow the spammers, (which is what they really are) to post links and website field links, the word will get out across the spammer communication network and before you realize it, your site will be overrun by them.  The website field isn't quite as bad if they never post and you do not allow guests to view profiles, but the sigs can hurt you. They may only post once or twice and then disappear, but they will return much later and edit the post to add more spam. By then, you will probably not even notice that the spam is there.  Also, those that never post will also return much later as well. Once they get the word out, they will increase their registrations exponentially. 

Spam trap sites and have seen them come in post once or twice, wait a week, then post a few more times. They constantly monitor their post to see if it is allowed to remain. Within a couple of weeks, that same ip will return and register 100 or more accounts, post once or twice with each account, and flood the forum with spam links.  Those 100 accounts are all automated bot postings and created within just a few seconds. Multiply that by 100 more spammers doing the same thing and you are then flooded by them.

My personal suggestion is to add an anti spam modification and use a custom verification question at registration. There are several anti spam modifications available that can help you weed them out before they even get in.  You can also use deny permissions on the 1st level post count group to prevent new members from editing additional profile options.  I have mine set for 0 to 10 posts.  They cannot add a sig or post a site in the profile website field until after 10 posts.

It is not ROCKET SCIENCE AND YOU DONT NEED TECH GUYS EITHER!
Report to moderator   Logged
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »

Today we've updated the forum software to the most recent available so hopefully this will now help.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »

Yeh come on HS dudes get on top of this it's very frustrating.
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »

Jasper just a quick question...can you recommend some form of anti spam modification?

Our tech guy said you can get addons and thinks it's better to get one recommended than trial and error as it were.

By the way I know this isn't particularly a technical issue it's just that he looks after this side of things.

Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:25:42 AM »

I use the MOD   anti_spam_ver_ques_1.02  that means registration requires the person to answer a question.

Go to http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/  and have a look in security and  spam prevention.

If none of the moderators or admin CAN BE BOTHERED  to:
1) delete all the "members with one or less posts" 
2) delete all the spam posts and
3) ban those IP addresses etc and keep on top of it at least weekly, then this will get even worse as I have said above.

If the spam continues to be on  here - I wont!

You are obviously paying your "Tech Guy" for something he  is clearly NOT DOING!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:30:29 AM by Jasper9 » Report to moderator   Logged
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »

Your Tech Guy can also use this MOD to remove the SMF logo from your banner

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1325
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »

Thanks for these suggestions Jasper.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »

Don't go Jasper!
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »

Same old spam again today!

Admin and Mods too lazy to delete and ban those doing it?
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »

At the moment I'm checking twice a day and removing loads each time. I can't really do any more than this. Do you have a specific anti spam modification that you use?

Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

Yes the verification one!

It stops spam almost entirely.  The sooner you add it the better.

Isnt the forum better now the mebers are on 9 pages and most of the old spam is gone.

Good job keep it up!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:24:40 AM by Jasper9 » Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »

I spent alot of time going through all the members and as you suggested I basically deleted everyone with no posts or just one...unless that one was made very recently.

Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »

It was a good idea.  They make one post or don't post at all.
If it is not deleted the spammer world gets to know and your forum gets added to the spam lists and you get loads more!

One of my banned spammers has tried 400 times to re register since I banned him.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 01:44:04 AM »

As I think you said somewhere they seem to sign up accounts and activate them at a later date.

Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »

What I was sayiong that even when BANNED  they keep on trying!

Why U no risten!
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace