Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 24, 2014, 08:01:34 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)Career for college students - some advice
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Career for college students - some advice  (Read 1919 times)
WebSurfer
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:21:07 AM »

Most of you may be geared towards a career that makes a lot of money, which is fine, but you shouldn't pursue it just because of that. You should enjoy it, and have personality for it.

Here's a quick but efficient way to find the right career, look @ your hobbies and research a well-paying career associated with that. If you are a good tutor you could become a teacher, or a professional tutor.

If you enjoy working out, then you could be a fitness instructor and so on.
Report to moderator   Logged
stanford
liking it

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:53:59 AM »

I wish looking for a career was that easy. Life is not that simple.  Some people go through life 15-20 years trying to decide what career they want to do.  When you have children to feed, morgage, car payments, credit cards, insurance, etc the amount of money you bring home does matter.  Here in the USA, we are the land of greed!  Everyone wants the beautiful house in the suburbs with a white picket fence.  The only way to achieve this, you have to find a good career that can pay a desirable salary.  You can't settle on a career that fits your interests. Tutoring doesn't pay $100,000 a year.
WebSurfer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:36:15 AM »

You did make some a good point, however, working for a career that you DON'T like is not going to make life any better, even if the salary was good.

And the key is to making the career you like, produce good money. That's actually the hard part, and sometimes being an employee won't be enough. You might have to start your own business to get that good pay so you can get those luxuries, as you said.
Betty
liking it

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 06:26:34 AM »

I feel people today will sacrifice their interests for careers that pay well.  I also feel many of those who are currently working in high paying jobs don't regret their career decision.  I'm sure their job is very demanding and stressful, but the amount of money they bring home makes it justifiable.  Take my sister for example.  She is a medical doctor and brings home a very good salary.  She works long hours and has a lot of responsiblity.  She has a beautiful home with 5 children.  She uses her money to provide a good living for her children.  Her large income gives her the freedom to go on family trips, send her children to private schools, pay for their sporting events, and provide a good home for them. I seriously think she would be a very unhappy person if her monetary freedom was taken away from her.
freeform
settling in

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:22:57 PM »

I feel people today will sacrifice their interests for careers that pay well.  I also feel many of those who are currently working in high paying jobs don't regret their career decision. 

I'd say its a personality point - some people are able to switch off work and really enjoy their free time. Others really need to enjoy that 3rd of their life to feel fulfilled.

A lucky few get both.

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
HireScores.com admin
Forum Admin
Administrator
just starting

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:51:02 PM »

You might find this Sponsored Article on HireScores.com of interest.  It is about selecting a career.

Forum Admin Team
Have you rated at HireScores.com?
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:06:11 PM »

I have seen many people go to school specifically for the money received by a certain career. I think that you should do what you love and love what you do. It will bring more happiness and sometimes can even bring more money than you ever imagined.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace