Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 24, 2014, 07:44:35 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Should you put your college grades on your resume?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Should you put your college grades on your resume?  (Read 8754 times)
Timber
liking it

« on: September 28, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »

I've been told that your college grades are extremely important when trying to land a good job.  In fact, some people will put their college grades on their resume in order to impress an employer, but is this really necessary?  Does it matter what your college grades are?  Can an employer check for themselves how you did in college?
Report to moderator   Logged
Drake
liking it

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »

I have seen people who put their college grades on their resume.  When I was younger and just graduated from college I used to list any awards or achievements, such as making the dean's list for a high grade point average, but now that I'm older that doesn't apply.  So in my opinion, grades on a resume are fine when your fresh out of college, but over time grades make no difference in the work force.  By that time, your personal job expereinces are more important than a grade point average.
lilo
just starting

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »

No, not necessary. Actually, not at all. When it comes to listing your education in your resume, you should only list your final graduating grade (and this is optional, any awards, special projects. If relevant to the job you seek, you could also list some titles of the disciplines you have studied, just for the employer to see that you do have experience (theoretic) in the field he's about to hire you in. But don't list the grades...
http://www.cvtips.com/education_in_your_resume.html

Career adviser
Andy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:49:28 AM »

For all these years in the recruitment field I have believed that putting your grades is vital, yet formatting a CV has been changing with the times.
For more info visit http://keyman.uk.com
Stephanie B
just starting

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »

Nonono......don't list your grades in your resume! The employer is not interested in that kind of things!

http://www.careeradvicecenter.com/cv-and-resume/what-employers-want.html
britannia64
just starting

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »

I've been told that your college grades are extremely important when trying to land a good job.  In fact, some people will put their college grades on their resume in order to impress an employer, but is this really necessary?  Does it matter what your college grades are?  Can an employer check for themselves how you did in college?

I think it depends how good they are. If the're low then i beleive it works against you, but if the're top grades then there is no reason not to, afterall you should be proud of them. However only put those that are relevant to the position. No employer wants to know that you achieved an A in Human Resources Principles when you are applying for a Accounting job.

Happy hunting

Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 05:05:04 AM »

I personally never put my grades on a resume.  I've been out of college for several years now and my job experience should be more important than my college grades.  Besides, people can put any grade on their resume.  Chances are a company does not have the time to check your grades to see if they are accurate and some colleges will not even disclose this personal information unless they get a written letter form the applicant giving them permission.  Bottom line, avoid putting your grades on a resume.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 06:46:40 AM »

I agree with britannia64. It's one of those attributes that can't hurt to leave it off if the score isn't that great, or could help if you had really good grades or graduated top of your class, etc. Having high scores could be seen as dedication or trying really hard....but leaving it off isn't going to make an employer think anything less of you.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:54:04 AM »

Sadly (or not depending on those grades) the job application form usually asks for your grades anyway so there's no getting away from bad ones.

Though certainly you can delay the pain by not including them on your CV.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »

It's interesting to read this because my GCSE results are on my CV. Maybe this is where I've been going wrong as they aren't amazing or anything.

So nobody puts exam results on their CV's no?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:18:13 PM »

I don't know about nobody but I don't myself.

Only the application for when asked.

Not that my grades are awful but they certainly could've been better.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »

Before I apply for anything else my CV will be changed.

To be honest the job hunting is drying up for me I think with all this talk of redundancies I might be safer where I am even if I'm not that happy.

At least it's secure.
syed2011
just starting

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »

I dont think Grades will be count as a most important factor., Some people will have talent but they wouldn't get good score., its depend on the job requirements what type of skills employer need whether a paper knowledge degree or a Live human with skills and talent.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »

Hey Syed welcome to these discussions.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace