Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 25, 2014, 05:45:22 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreYour experiences (Moderator: HireScoresMark)Have you ever felt pressured to quit your job?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Have you ever felt pressured to quit your job?  (Read 3909 times)
Greg
liking it

« on: September 19, 2007, 01:03:42 AM »

I had an experience where I once worked for several years as a counselor.  In the beginning I got along with everyone and the atmosphere was very friendly.  As the agency grew and more clients were coming in, the atmosphere changed.  I felt pressured to take on more responsibility than the other employees and if anything went wrong, I was to blame.  I become very unhappy working there and I often feel as though I was "set up" to leave the agency.  Has anyone else felt like this before?
Report to moderator   Logged
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:45:06 PM »

Yes, I also came across a situation where a friend of mine was working in a department store and slowly the managers started giving her a hard time at work.  Eventually she left her job and later she found out from her co workers that the managers didn't trust her anymore and rather than firing her, they manipulated the environment so she would eventually leave the job on her own.  So in a sense, she was "set up" to leave.  I believe this happens a lot of times in businesses.  It's much easier to say goodbye to an employee who leaves on their own than telling them they have to leave.  Don't you agree?
LouiseA
just starting

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »

I once got blamed by my manager for us failing an assessment by head office of our shop even though I had been on holiday for the 2 weeks previously and was a junior member of staff but happened to open up that morning! I left pretty sharpish!

Kind regards

Louisa

Devon jobs
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »

I once worked for a taxi firm. They were under staffed anyway and when somebody was off ill for a long period of time I was forced to do many more shifts than was realistic. In the end my boss threatened me that if I didn't do a shift on a day I'd booked leave for previously that I wouldn't work there any more. It was a horrible situation that ended up with me very upset. I didn't leave that day but a couple of weeks later.

Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:14:37 PM »

That must have been a horrible experience for you Robin.  Your boss should have paid you more money for doing more work.  In addition, no one like to be threatened.  It creates a very uncomfortable environment. 

Sounds like your boss was under a lot of pressure when someone called in sick.  He should have developed a better plan during this type of situation.  I'm trying to figure out what I would have done if I was your boss.  Maybe diversify the responsibility to more than one employee.   
Sunny
liking it

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »

"I once got blamed by my manager for us failing an assessment by head office of our shop even though I had been on holiday for the 2 weeks previously and was a junior member of staff but happened to open up that morning! I left pretty sharpish!"

That's awful LouiseA!!  Sounds like your manager snapped at the first person he saw that day.  Sometimes it's hard not to take certain comments personally.  He should have calmed down and apologized to you for blaming you for the failed assessment.  That's the proper and mature thing to do!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:03:15 PM by Sunny » Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »

It was a very small firm. I think they were used to people bending over backwards and doing whatever they asked. The same three people had worked there for years you see. Because I was new it was quite a learning curve for them. Plus because most of the people who worked there owed them money they usually would fall into place. It wasn't really managed at all. More just rolled along from day to day. I'm sure not all taxi firms are like this but I never want to work for another.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace