Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

December 22, 2014, 10:54:19 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreYour experiences (Moderator: HireScoresMark)Which start up businesses should be avoided?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Which start up businesses should be avoided?  (Read 6745 times)
Pepper
liking it

« on: September 16, 2007, 01:34:51 AM »

Today people are trying to start their own business, but they are unsure of the type of business to open up.  Are there certain start up businesses to avoid? What is the probability these businesses will fail?  I think one of the most difficult businesses to start up is a restaurant.  does anyone agree with me?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:36:34 AM by Pepper » Report to moderator   Logged
lava
liking it

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:39:25 PM »

The restaurant business is one of the most common businesses that fail.  Where I live there have been several restaurants that opened up near the mall and shopping centers.  Logically, you would think any restaurant that opens up near this location will be successful.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.  I can name several restaurant that have come and gone throughout the years.  The reason for their failure can't be location.  What else could be the reason for their failure?  Any suggestions?
Report to moderator   Logged
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »

I think that a lot of new restaurants fail because the people opening them don't have enough experience in the industry. The ones that have failed in my area were ran either by a business person, who could handle the finance etc. but was inexperienced in the physical running of the restaurant, or the other way around, where a chef or waiter opens up, but has little knowledge of actually running a business. There are so many aspects of this type of business that I think you need a lot of experience (and quite a lot of luck) to succeed.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »

Restaurants must be so hard to get right. To be a success I mean. Talk about a lot of competition.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »

I saw a film a few years ago where somebody tells somebody else something like 80% of new restaurants fail within the first year. I might have the figure wrong but it was a very high percentage.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »

I've heard something along those lines. Has anyone seen Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares? That's put me off ever wanting to open a restaurant!
Tomtom
settling in

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »

Restaurants are a very tricky business to operate.  It takes a lot of money to operate and there are a lot of overhead expenses that need to be paid. 

If you were to open a restaurant, you might be better off opening a franchise.  They seem easier to run and many people are familiar with the name, prices, and food.
Timber
liking it

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »

I have heard when opening a franchise, you get help on how to run the business and get it started.   They provide you with help if anything goes wrong.  However, keep in mind that when you open a franchise, you must pay the owner of the franchise name, such as the founder of Burger King, a certain percentage of your sales.  That's the only down side I can see.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:51:04 PM by Timber » Report to moderator   Logged
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »

A franchise is a strange one to me. Personally I wouldn't want to and if I was going into the restaurant business I'd like something a bit more unique.

I guess with a franchise though you get support as you just mentioned. Doing it by yourself would be much harder but much more rewarding if it succeeds.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »

There's an old Odeon Cinema in Nottingham that's been closed for years. It really was a part of my childhood growing up. My idea of a perfect business if I won the lottery (which I don't play) would be to re-open that and show old movies. Though I doubt it would make a profit.

ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »

That sounds like a really cool idea! I wish cinemas would play old movies, even if it was just once a week, because there are so many films that I either missed at the cinema or wasn't alive at the time that I'd love to see on the big screen.
Spinner
liking it

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »

I have a friend that opened a theater.  They perform plays, such as Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet.  He really enjoys it, but he's not making a lot of money.  I think he took a second job to help pay for the expenses.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »

Something like this would certainly be a thing of passion rather than a thing of profit. If only I could afford it. I show a variety of movies and on a Sunday double and triple bill specials. Happy dreams.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 12:57:45 PM »

Sounds good. An old school cinema theatre would be great. Especially in these days of loads of films and many of them not being any good. I'm sure they make lots more movies than they used to when I was a kid.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »

I agree when I was young films seemed to be on at the cinema for weeks. Now if you don't catch it within a week or many of them are gone.

Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace