Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 19, 2014, 02:48:34 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreYour experiences (Moderator: HireScoresMark)Why is there so much gossip in the work place?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Why is there so much gossip in the work place?  (Read 4055 times)
Spinner
liking it

« on: September 16, 2007, 01:06:15 AM »

I am so tired of listening to people around me talk about other employees.  One of these days I'm going to hear my name being mentioned and I'm not going to be happy.  I realize you can't control gossip around the work place, but is there any way to control it?
Report to moderator   Logged
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:09:30 PM »

It is very difficult to control office gossip.  I think it's part of human nature, but it becomes a problem when people start saying things that are hurtful and it's interfering with work production.  My advice for controlling the amount of gossip within the work place is to keep employees busy so they do not have time to gossip.  Another suggestion is creating an atmosphere that makes it difficult to gossip. Some work places will do this by playing music over the intercom. This allows people to mentally think of other things while working and it also generates a more cheerful atmosphere.
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:08:04 PM »

Part of the reason it gets so out of hand is because people spend so much time at work. They're with the same people for the bulk of their day and the only socializing they get is within their own coworker circles. Gossip tends to travel quickly and easily. To keep yourself out of the gossip, your best bet is to just not tell anyone that might passed information on.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »

People seem to like talking about other people. I think it's the judgemental nature of the British. Or perhaps people in general. To escape our problems or not face up to our own issues we moan about other peoples.

I think that's why reality TV is so popular. We can watch Big Brother and moan all we like about a perceived weakness or character flaw in another whilst ignoring or turning a blind eye to our own problems.

If we all looked inward in a healthy way the world would be a much more pleasant place.

The workplace too.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »

There's a lot of gossip where I am.

Never ending pretty much.

I think it's the way people are.
Jenna
liking it

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:28:46 AM »

I personally try to stay away from these situations because one of these days, I might be the one people are gossiping about. I try hard to watch what I say to people, but we all know there are days when we need to express our thoughts to someone.  For example, maybe someone snapped at you at work or accused you of being inefficient.  Chances are your going to want to talk to someone about what happened and get someone else's point of view. 

Best solution is to try and find one person you trust with your thoughts. They are less likely to spread information around the office and respect your wishes. 
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 04:15:16 PM »

It's true. I wouldn't tell anybody personal stuff about me unless I really trusted them.

There's nobody here that fits into that.

People gossip about you whether they know anything or not. About what you're wearing or just about anything really. The kids in our canteen.

They can't help it.

Get a life of your own I think.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »

"A mouth kept shut and ears kept open are a great asset. It's easy to speak but harder to listen."

As somebody once said. I can't remember who. It could be a mis-quote.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:35:25 AM by forum admin » Report to moderator   Logged
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »

Sounds like an old Chinese proverb or something like that. I'd still say as long as people are people they will talk and gossip. It's as simple as that. Only talk to people you know are real friends. Especially in an office.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:15:55 PM by Bob » Report to moderator   Logged
Gota
having fun

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »

It think it's a proverb.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace