Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 31, 2014, 12:37:33 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreYour experiences (Moderator: HireScoresMark)How difficult is it to relocate?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: How difficult is it to relocate?  (Read 4168 times)
Janey
settling in

« on: October 29, 2007, 08:24:56 AM »

I was wondering if anyone can share their experience of relocating to another state after graduating from college to search for a job.  I often feel this is a very difficult experience to encounter because you are leaving the comfort of your home and family to venture out into unfamiliar territory on your own. Did anyone find it difficult to leave?  Were you successful in finding a job in another state after graduation?  Would do it again if you had the chance?
Report to moderator   Logged
Spinner
liking it

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:46:46 AM »

I once left the comfort of my home to persue a degree in counseling for the blind.  This was my first time leaving home and I was very scared living in a new area with no family near by.  I often felt very lonely and at times depressed, but that all changed when I started going to school. I met some really nice people who were really helpful when I needed advice or just wanted some company. 

After school, I was lucky to find a job in the same area where I graduated from school.  At work, I began to make friends and many of them were from other states, which made me feel comfortable talking to them and getting to know them better.  Overall, my experience has been that people are relatively friendly when moving out of town.  In time, you begin to eventually feel comfortable where you live and you embrace the many new people you meet.
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »

I was perfectly fine leaving my family and such, but the expense of relocating was much more than I expected. In addition to all the normal moving expenses, I didn't really think about the fact that I couldn't just easily find a roommate to live with and even though I had a job lined up, I had to wait several weeks for my first pay check, so money was insanely tight. It was a real struggle for quite a while.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »

I did voluntary work a few years ago for nine months. It was the first time I left home. Although it was difficult I knew I'd be going home at the end of it and I still lived at home so I was really just on an extended leave of absence.

A year or two later I actually moved to the small village that the centre I'd done the voluntary work in was near. I was from the City. Nottingham. This was a very small village in the middle of nowhere (compared to Nottingham it was the middle of nowhere) and this was very different. All the people I knew at the centre I volunteered at had moved on except one. It was scary to say the least. I guess leaving home properly for the first time is always scary.

It took while but I soon got used to it and made new friends.

Betty
liking it

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »

Moving for me would be difficult.  At the present time, I take care of my elderly parents so any type of move will affect them.  I'm the only sibling that still lives in the area and they need someone to take them grocery shopping, to their doctor appointments, or shovel their snow in their driveway.  I could never leave them.  It would be too hard for them and me.  I suppose it's part of the job of getting older.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 02:49:24 PM »

That's true. And something I'm becoming more and more aware of the older I get. Mine and my wife Chelsea's parents are by no means at the stage of needing looking after yet but they also are not getting any younger. We're very attached to our parents and I don't actually think we'd be able to move even if we wanted to. It would be very difficult.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:23:59 AM »

I left home to go to Uni and actually quit in the first term. When I look back I wonder where I'd be now if I'd stuck with it. I found it very hard and some people have said I didn't give it long enough I just hated it. I'm a very homely person and couldn't get my head around the move as well as the course.

I also think people can be pushed into going to Uni since most people do it these days.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »

I think Government statistics that want fifty percent of school leavers to study at a University are ridiculous. It just waters down degrees and they mean less. Why on earth should half school leavers be pushed to Uni when we are crying out for plumbers and electricians and other such jobs. They should have more of an emphasis on good old apprenticeships.

This really gets my goat.

What does everybody else think?
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »

I think it's good to encourage people to attend university and in many cases better themselves. Targets whilst being controversial in some areas have helped with things like the NHS and local authorities deal with large backlogs successfully so I can't see a problem with it myself.

I understand the need for apprenticeship schemes as well and the two need to happen side by side.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace