Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 25, 2014, 12:12:34 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)What are the do's and don'ts of changing a career?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What are the do's and don'ts of changing a career?  (Read 5042 times)
Jenna
liking it

« on: August 29, 2007, 09:34:12 AM »

Many people change their career during their life time.  I have personally known someone  who went to school to be a counselor, but is now working as an accountant. With this in mind, are there any rules and guidelines for changing a career? Is anyone happy that they made a career change?
Report to moderator   Logged
Drake
liking it

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:03:42 PM »

I made a career change and I am very happy with what I am doing.  I originally went to school for engineering and worked for a corporation for several years.  After years of working there I became very bored with my job and went back to school to become a computer networking administrator.  My days are full of different things going on and no two days are the same.  So my advice to others is go ahead and make the career change if your unhappy with your current job.  Sometimes the risk you take is well worth it.
The Head Hunter ultimatum
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »

Interesting discussion thus far......

Sick of being shout at by your boss!! Who is not tired of the 9 -5 jobs!!! You can be your own boss easily with the "Braveheart" Plan. This plan is suitable for anybody esp if you have been working in a particular industry for more than 2-3 years.

Wnat to know more?? check out my website:

panerai33-recruitment.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:58:18 PM by Forum Management » Report to moderator   Logged
Forum Management
Forum Management
Administrator
settling in

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:01:36 PM »

Hi Head Hunter Ultimatum

Whilst I am not sure anyone was suggesting that they wanted to become a recruiter so your post was perhaps a tad salesy you are welcome to join our forum.  You might want to introduce yourself in the introductions section which is also where we are happy for you to tell people about what you do.

Forum Management

HireScore.com Forum: bringing together recruiters, candidates and hiring companies

Have you visited HireScores.com?
lilo
just starting

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »

One changes his/her career in order to find a better one, thus changing your career should normally make you happy. The thing with constant changes is that you do it too often you'll be taken for an instable job seeker, who doesn't really know what he wants. Changing your career could show an act of initiative and of determination, but if you go to far with this, it could get you in disadvantage. And yes, because of this, there are some rules. But take the example of a lateral career move. This cannot harm you at all. On the contrary.
http://www.cvtips.com/lateral_career_move.html

Career adviser
Stephanie B
just starting

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:08:53 PM »

People could be happy with a career change, yes. This is why they choose to change it. To get something better. Of course, not all the times they succeed. It depends on so many factors I guess.
My opinion is that you can do just fine if you improve your career, not necessarily changing it. Because with the career change there come so many other changes.

http://www.careeradvicecenter.com/career-advice/career-boost.html
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 08:50:46 AM »

DO be honest with yourself. Do you hate your current career path or are you just in a rut? Do you want to put out the time and effort it takes to make a real career change? Do you think you'll be happy in the new career field?

DON'T think it'll be easy or will fix all your problems. You might be happier in the long run, but in the short run, it means lots of effort in a new field, possible pay cuts, etc. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »

I considered a year or two ago maybe going to do an access course to get into a University. Maybe even going to Bible college (shock horror) but it seemed like a real uphill battle.

If you are going to have a serious career change I agree with Chevy, be prepared for lots of work and potential lifestyle changes (due to maybe having less money etc).

That said if it's something you really NEED to do then go do it and you'll make it work.

Gota
having fun

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »

I agree with many points here.

A job change can be very different to a career change.

I've always worked in the same sector, though have never especially enjoyed it. I've been getting itchy feet a bit recently but with the current economic climate now really isn't the right time to be thinking about a job OR career change I don't think.
Madison.expert
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »

Good tips and information's on the Job search and career. Thanks for the advise and info about the do's and don't. I gathered lot of useful point to be followed. By the way I got a good job in the Cloud Computing Industry.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:28:48 PM by forum admin » Report to moderator   Logged
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »

Hi welcome to the forums here at HireScores.com.

syed2011
just starting

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

Do take advantage of all your networking potential,
Don't go it alone; do find a mentor
Don't limit yourself to similar careers or jobs when making a career change
Don't rush into a new career field because you are dissatisfied

Cv Examples

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint