Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

December 22, 2014, 10:54:17 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)Why is my manager so mean!?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Why is my manager so mean!?  (Read 2619 times)
Frankie
just starting

« on: March 26, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »

My manager has been on my case since I started a year ago. He makes me work late, he criticises everything I do, and he makes fun of me in front of all of the other staff. He knows that I am good at my job as he gets me to train the new staff, but he never says thank you or acknowledges anything that I do.

I am leaving in a months time, as me and my boyfriend are moving houses. However I still want to know why he has made the last year so difficult for me!

Any suggestions are welcome  Cheesy
Report to moderator   Logged
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »

I wish I had a suggestion but all I can say is try to forgive them and move on.
Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »

Forgive them?  If she had been raped would you say the same thing?

Frankie, it seems to me you have a cast-iron case for Constructive Dismissal.  This is however hard to prove.  You would need recorded evidence of the way he acts towards you.
Bullying in the workplace is no longer allowed or tolerated.  I would be surprised if your employer does not have an anti bullying policy.

You must reprot your boss before you leave. 

This will ensure the company is aware of how he operates and hopefully mean no one else has to suffer as you have done.

Sounds like you are well out of it.
Jason
liking it

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »

Frankie, it seems to me you have a cast-iron case for Constructive Dismissal.  This is however hard to prove.  You would need recorded evidence of the way he acts towards you.

You would have needed to raise a grievance before you handed in your notice to do anything legal about this.

Still, you're best out of it.  Maybe the Manager felt threatened by you in some way, I dunno, folk are strange.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
bsforrester80
just starting

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »

Have a word with him before you go, obviously remember he may well be a reference and sounds the type who would write a poor one just to be vindictive so be civil to him.
 However, if he has a shred of decency he should at least explain his behaviour to you and you ened to tell him how he made you feel.
Or if he isn't receptive go over his head, his bosses won't like that sort of behaviour!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »

I'd have a word too before you go.

It's best to depart on good terms wherever possible on your part.

syed2011
just starting

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:41:26 AM »

I think its not good for a employee to get appreciation of work done every time. Because where-ever you work, your work should talk not your words. So i think your employer need you to grow little bit more, so always take the things positive, you'll see the positive result.

Patience is important.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

Great post above. I agree. Patience in these situations is not only important but crucial.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »

Forgive them indeed I would myself that this is crucial. Otherwise you'll just go around for the rest of your life with a chip on your shoulder about that bad experience. Of course if there's a case for unfair dismissal it needs to be pursued but that can be done as well as forgivving the person who potentially wronged you.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »

Forgivness? Sounds a bit wishy washy to me.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »

Sounds a bit "new age" to me. But saying that...what's wrong with it?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »

I think forgiving somebody that "wrongs you" does more for you than anybody else. Otherwise you just end up all angry and bitter inside. It wasn't about being kind to the person who upset or offended you but more about freeing yourself up of bad and bitter feelings.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »

I see what you mean Robin. I'm with Jonathan I think in that it sounds kinda new age but then again...whatever get's you through the night as John Lennon said.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace