Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

December 18, 2014, 10:29:30 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)A Fifth Would Refuse A Job That Restricted Internet Access
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: A Fifth Would Refuse A Job That Restricted Internet Access  (Read 2888 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

A report on the impact of social media and Web 2.0 on today's workplace, found that one-fifth (21%) of people would turn down a job that did not allow them to access social networking sites or personal email during work time.

The majority (79%) of the respondents said over and above job role and pay, the most important things to them in a job included being trusted to manage their own time, and being trusted to use the internet as they wish. 62% of employees feel they should be able to access web / social networking content from their work computer for personal reasons (compared to 51% of managers).

Clearswift, the software security company that carried out the research, has also dubbed workers who never seem to fully switch off from work or home as ’Generation Standby'.

The characteristics of this group is that they are regularly ‘home-ing’ from work due to the increased pressure to work longer hours and regularly carrying out social and private tasks at work. The trend is most pronounced amongst 25 – 34 year olds, with 57% undertaking personal tasks such as checking social networks, emailing and online shopping at work, although 66% of all employees say they make up the time they spend using the internet for personal reasons by working later or through lunch.

Men were found to be more likely to ‘home from work’ than women, with 48% logging on to social networking sites at work (versus 36% of women); 69% checking personal email in the office (compared to 54% of women); and 34% shopping online during work time (versus 20% of women).

Hilary Backwell, Clearswift's Global HR Director, said:

“Call it multi-tasking or life-splicing but increasingly, fuelled by advances in technology, employees are blurring the boundaries between home and work. What this report has shown is that ‘Generation Standby’ employees are now enjoying, and expecting, greater levels of flexibility and mobility than ever before – but this cultural shift raises new questions about trust in the workplace, the use of new technologies, the balance of power in the employer versus employee relationship and levels of control that businesses now have over people and content.”
Report to moderator   Logged

Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »

This is madness!   Come on people!  You are at WORK to WORK!   

Not to discuss what you are having for dinner on "Twatter" or "faceberk"   

This just shows that people dont want to work.  I would rather do my work and go home than mess about on the internet.

Mind you I couldn't do without e mail  but not personal emails!
Jason
liking it

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:35:39 PM »

This is madness!   Come on people!  You are at WORK to WORK!   

Not to discuss what you are having for dinner on "Twatter" or "faceberk"   

This just shows that people dont want to work.  I would rather do my work and go home than mess about on the internet.

Mind you I couldn't do without e mail  but not personal emails!

I sort of agree with this but on the other hand I'm happy to get to work early and work late and even work a bit of weekend, in return I like to be able to run a bit of personal life in office time.

But it's a balance, if you work 9 - 5 then no personal email / internet / messing about time for you.

None of this would stop me accepting a job though

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »

Faceberk is good...I prefer Farcebook but each to his own  Grin

Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »

Lets settle on FARCEBERK!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »

Funny.

But seriously...in many ways and for many things...Facebook is great.

Love it or hate it it's changed the way people communicate forever.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »

You can't not love Facebook.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »

I cannot and do not.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »

Have you guys seen David Fincher's film The Social Network? Fascinating.
Jason
liking it

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »

Have you guys seen David Fincher's film The Social Network? Fascinating.
Brilliant film; "If those guys were intelligent enough to invent facebook, they would have invented facebook."

Classic

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »

It's full of so many great lines but one that put me to shame a little went something like this.

As if every random thought going through your head warranted being posted on the internet.

Something like that anyway. As someone who tweets and updates his Facebook status often that line hit me hard.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace