Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 23, 2014, 10:42:55 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Interview distance
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Interview distance  (Read 2385 times)
Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« on: February 22, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »

How far do you think is is reasonable for you to travel to an interview/

I only ask because yesterday I travelled a round trip of 200 miles which took a total of 5 hours for an interview that lasted just 50 minutes.

I didn't even get offered a cup of tea or coffee!

AND  the first thing I was told was that this interview is to decide who is selected for a shortlist to be invited back for a second interview!!!!!! 
I was being interviewed by the MD and one of his directors for heavens sake!  Why does anyone have to come back?

I thought there is no way I am wasting another day of my life and 35 in fuel just to massage this pricks ego!   even if this was a dream job (and I don't even think they have the job vacancy at the moment), it would not be worth it.
Report to moderator   Logged
Jason
liking it

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »

Not offering you a cup of tea is absolutely dispicable.  That reflects really badly on the company.  I mean it. Offering tea or coffee is also a good way to gauge whether someone feels comfortable too.

The rest though, it's up to them.  Recruiting is an expensive business, it's hopefully a decision that will have positive implications for years to come.  Nothing wrong with second interviews.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
syed2011
just starting

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:34:05 AM »

How far do you think is is reasonable for you to travel to an interview/

I only ask because yesterday I travelled a round trip of 200 miles which took a total of 5 hours for an interview that lasted just 50 minutes.

I didn't even get offered a cup of tea or coffee!

AND  the first thing I was told was that this interview is to decide who is selected for a shortlist to be invited back for a second interview!!!!!! 
I was being interviewed by the MD and one of his directors for heavens sake!  Why does anyone have to come back?

I thought there is no way I am wasting another day of my life and 35 in fuel just to massage this pricks ego!   even if this was a dream job (and I don't even think they have the job vacancy at the moment), it would not be worth it.

You did the right thing, Recruiters should think of candidates who come from whatever distance,

they could offer at-least a glass of water ?

Recently i too had the same incident, when i went to an interview, by travelling 15 miles in a Public Bus, they even didn't ask for a glass of water.?

It shows the company Background. There will be only two reasons either they are high business turn over and demand in market or they dont care of Future employees. I think this thread should keep sticky to get more responses.

Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

At least they did contact me to say that I had been "unsuccessful" and not being "invited to a second interview"   

NOT THAT I WAS EVER GOING ANYWAY!

I have replied and said that the company is too small for me anyway, I would worry each month whether I was going to get paid and I had doubts that they could afford me anyway.

I also said that the lack of a coffee offer made my mind up in seconds!

The reason I think is that the directors thought it beneath them to make a coffee, but they could have asked the girl Friday, and SHE should have offered as I saw her FIRST.

I am well off out of it.  I have had four interviews and only one where a JOB actually existed!

thinking of retiring now, I have had enough of this circus!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:21:58 PM by Jasper9 » Report to moderator   Logged
bsforrester80
just starting

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »

hyperion commercial
It just shows that when you are going for an interview you are siing the company as well as them assesing you.

Companies forget that sometimes, they should be a company that employees want to work for.

I think though in competitive industries that is forgotten - not even ofering you a drink shows they have lost touch with that crucial employer-employee relationship, you are just a number on a list.

Not worth bothering with IMO!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:05:36 PM by bsforrester80 » Report to moderator   Logged
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:02:30 PM »

I've worked many places where I was just a number on a list let alone not being that at the interview stage. I'm not sure this warm and fuzzy company exists anymore. Except in the heads of the upper management.
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »

When I was contacted by the MD re the outcome of the interview, I informed him the company was too small for me and that after researching I discovered that their client didn't even have the contract.  I also said that I found the lack of an offer of a coffee demonstrates bad manners!

His reply "you obviously have contempt for our company as I do for you"

This confirmed what I already knew. 

Why is it that employers think they can treat PEOPLE badly and as a commodity just because of the current climate?  Donut these directors realise that people talk to each other and reputations can be damaged. The recession wont last forever.
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »

Last Laugh!

These idiots are re advertising the positions again!   Another batch of hopefulls will be spending two hours driving 100 miles only to find the jobs don't exist yet and/or the firm don't pay enough!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:23:25 PM by Jasper9 » Report to moderator   Logged
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 01:54:49 PM »

You did the right thing writing to them about it and tell as many people as you can about the charlatans.
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »

AND they have an office in a "tin shed" on a Pikey style industrial estate in Dorchester. 

They say they are equal opportunities employers.  I would like to see how someone in a wheelchair can get upstairs to the office as they don't have a lift!
bsforrester80
just starting

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »

I can't believe that with all the regulations in place nowadays that a employer can behave like that towards you, terrible!
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »

I am not in a wheelchair!!!   I was just saying thet didnt have proper access.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »

Cheesy
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace