Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 29, 2014, 03:34:10 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)What can a manager do to make sure they hire the right candidate?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What can a manager do to make sure they hire the right candidate?  (Read 3435 times)
Spinner
liking it

« on: July 09, 2007, 07:45:41 PM »

Many times a manager is under pressure to quickly fill a job vacancy.  When this happens, managers can sometimes hire the wrong type of person.  Are there any guidelines managers can follow to avoid this mistake?
Report to moderator   Logged
Betty
liking it

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:52:35 PM »

One of the best things a manager can do is develop an accurate job description of the position.  This description should be extremely detail oriented so candidates know exactly what they job entails.  Also while interviewing candidates take accurate notes during the interview.  This will allow you to recall your conversation with them and address any concerns you may have with this candidate.
Spinner
liking it

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:17:31 AM »

One solution is to have the candidate interviewed by more than one person.  I would not suggest having a panel interview because opinions on the candidate can easily become biased.  It is best to have the candidate attend separate interviews by each manager.  This may be more time consuming, but it will allow each manger to develop their own opinion of the candidate.
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:46:56 AM »

There are a two key aspects to hiring the right person.  The key to hiring the right one is to make sure that you cover both during the selection process.  The first is the individual's technical capability/ability to do the job.  So do they have the knowledge, experience, dexterity, creativity, skills etc.  When checking this part out it can be very useful to do some sort of testing - ability testing, or a small practical etc.  Dexterity, numeracy etc can be tested using different psychometric tests.  If you are hiring an admin arrange for them to do a practical test using word, excel, powerpoint.  Make sure you apply the same conditions to each candidate - so do things like right down the instructions and either read them out or give them to the candidate. Or if they will be on the phone a lot or giving them advise - set up a simulation for this. Once again make it the same and if they need information to be able to do it then give them the information and give them all the same amount of time to read it.

The other side is around their motivation, attitude and likely team fit. In some ways this can be harder and is the area where the recruiters own preferences and prejudices kicks in.  It is best to focus on examples of things that they have done in the past.  So tell me a time when you found it really hard to get motivated (or were feeling really motivated), what was it, why, what did you do.  Clearly candidates are going to put some spin on this but you will get to concrete examples upon which you can based your judgements

mphcoach
just starting

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

Not rush!

It's better to wait for the right person than to get lumbered with the wrong one. The best performance management comes when you recruit.

And with taking your time there is another bonus - elevate some of your other people into delegated roles that they fill in for the gap. With support and encouragement you're building a great team, not recruiting a single person.

Hope this helps

Regards

Martin
http://www.SuccessionPlanningToolkit.com

Martin Haworth - Coach, Author & Stuff!
www.HowToLandYourDreamJob.com
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:49:42 AM »

I absolutely agree with you mpcoach about taking the time to get it right.  You only get once chance to fill a vacancy and not only is this a chance to get a really great person into your company/team it is also a chance to look at roles and your organisation and stuff like that.

I am a bit more cautious about your comment on elevating other members into deputy roles.  It might be semantics but I think that you need to have first evaluated the people in the team and taken the opportunity presented by the vacancy to adjust their roles to allow for development and stuff like that before you start to look.  Therefore if you are looking outside this is for specific skills and experience.

For me deputising a role with someone who has aspirations for the role is actually very risky and I have always felt somewhat unkind.  They get a chance to do the job for a bit and then it gets taken away.  This can lead them to be dissatisfied with their current role and then leave (the risky part) or simply feel unappreciated (the unkind part).  I have always tried to ensure that stand ins are people who do not aspire to the role - but can do it and do it to help out the company and perhaps have a bit of change for themselves.  But as I said, this may be my interpreting your suggestion too literally and you may have been talking about giving people the chance to develop which I am all for.  And it would be possible to sort of spread work around so that people all take on a bit more and use some of this in a developmental way - for example giving someone a special project or whatever.

lilo
just starting

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 05:26:48 PM »

Many times a manager is under pressure to quickly fill a job vacancy.  When this happens, managers can sometimes hire the wrong type of person.  Are there any guidelines managers can follow to avoid this mistake?

The entire whole hiring process should be planned very carefully and in an efficient way. Starting with the job add posted in the newspaper of on-line or whatever else. A comprehensive job description, then a aptitude test, then a face to face interview in which he should definitely do everything possible to select only the best and...well....then some trial period. Always keep a backup candidate as well.

But I believe the interview is everything:

http://www.cvtips.com/succeed_at_interviewing.html

Career adviser
syed2011
just starting

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »

Many times a manager is under pressure to quickly fill a job vacancy.  When this happens, managers can sometimes hire the wrong type of person.  Are there any guidelines managers can follow to avoid this mistake?

Its duty of the manager to hire the Expert unless the job requirement doesn't need that.

cv Template
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:57:33 AM by syed2011 » Report to moderator   Logged

forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »

Hi Syed welcome to the forums here at HireScores.com.

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »

Hi Syed.

Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

Dont use a recruitment agency would be a start!
Advertise the vacancy, be honest, interview and pay a fair salary.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace