Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 29, 2014, 09:53:03 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Advice please - dismissal
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Advice please - dismissal  (Read 1402 times)
peps88
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:00:11 PM »

A year ago i was made redundant after 7 years with the same company, and have since worked as a contractor, firstly in a 9 month contract, then a 2 month contract. In December, I took up a permanent role, with an initial 3 month probabtion period, which I have just been informed that i havent passed and therefore am dismissed (following a complaint from a colleague about attitude).

So, I am now again on the hunt for a job. However, I am not sure how best to proceed. I have worked in the same field (IT) for 20 years with not so much as a warning against my name so to find myself with a dismissal has completely thrown me. When applying for a job, how do I account for this dismissal? How much detail should i give and when? Will employers still consider me?!

I have excellent references for all the previous posts i have held but I am aware that new employers will always go to the last employer for a reference. As i only held the post that i have just been dismissed from for a matter of weeks, can i exclude it from my CV completely and just pretend it didnt happen??

Feeling pretty desperate so any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Report to moderator   Logged
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »

Hi peps sorry to hear about your recent experience. I hope some of the forum members here may be able to offer advice. In the meantime welcome to the forums here at HireScores.com.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Hello peps88. Welcome to the forums too from me  Smiley. Could you not put that you didn't pass the probationary period? Or would you have to go into detail? I'm sure many people do not pass a three month probationary period for many different reasons/ Or could you not put something about not getting on or having personal issues with that previous employer? Though I guess that might be like opening a can of worms?
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »

Hi peps88

I am sorry to hear about this. 

Unfortunately I cannot advise that you leave the job off your CV - if you do this and your new employer found out it would be ground for dismissal which is not a good thing.

I suggest two things.

First go to your last employer and ask them to explain to you the exact ground for not confirming the probation and dismissing you.  Whilst they can dismiss during probation they should tell you why.  Explain to them that you have worked for 20 years in IT with no problems and that you are very concerned as to how this has come about.  You do not say if it is a big or small company.  If it has an HR person book a meeting with them to discuss this, if not, go to your manager.  It does seem quite an extreme measure for a colleague complaint so it might be that they have a different reason for not confirming your trial such as a work downturn.  It would be good to see if you can find this out.  Also say that you are worried about your CV and reference and ask them to tell you what they would say on a reference.  Possibly even try to get a reference from them (if they say that they will say something neutral or even positive).

Second, in terms of your CV.  Just put down the company, duties and dates and no reason for dismissal on your CV.  If you are asked at an interview then you will have to say something.  Be truthful but less is more - ie do not go into gory detail. If anything useful comes to light from the convestion I recommended then you can use this.  But basically something like ' I was on probation and after two months, somewhat to my surprise they told me that I would not be confirmed and dismissed me.  I aked them to explain the reasons in more details but they declined or they said xxx.

I hope this helps

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »

Sounds good advice to me  Smiley. Keep us posted peps.
Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »

First of all NEVER own up to being dismissed!    You left because there was a personality clash or something.

If I were you I would pretend you worked on a contract/self-employed which came to a natural end.  Quite common in these times I expect.  A reference from your employer wont be forthcoming or too complimentary so why worry about it.

You don't really even need to talk about what you did recently or even mention your ex employer.

My advice, leave it off your CV and pretend it never happend.  You wont get "found out"  even if you did after a few months in a new job what would it matter.  No one would sack you for it.

lets face it people get sacked all the time.  Most of them get work fairly quickly.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace