Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 25, 2014, 07:56:06 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)MBA, no experience, no job
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: MBA, no experience, no job  (Read 4416 times)
lava
liking it

« on: March 19, 2007, 05:15:53 AM »

I recently graduated from college with a masters degree in Business Administration (MBA).  After years of studying and doing well in my classes, I finally graduate.  I approach the job market with confidence and excitement.  I have been told by my professors and from talking to others I should have no problems finding a career and a good salary.  They were all wrong!  With little job experience and working a few internships many employees are not interested in hiring me. In order to pay my bills, I am forced to apply for any job.  In fact, I even lie about having an MBA because I would be overqualified.  So my question is, what should I do?  Corporate America doesn't want me because I have no job experience.  What is the point of getting a masters degree if no one want to hire you? What should be my strategy?  Any job advice for me?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:36:50 AM by lava » Report to moderator   Logged
Tammy
just starting

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:27:25 AM »

That sounds bad - but don't give up  Smiley

Does your college offer any support to recent graduates?  I do not know the US set up but here in the UK you can usually use the Careers Services for a couple of years following your graduation.

Also have you tried out any management training positions with big companies? This way you might be starting a bit lower than you hoped by your MBA will give your resume a boost.
Report to moderator   Logged
Seb
just starting

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:30:59 AM »

Be careful about hiding the MBA.  I am sure you can't get fired for it (although I speak with no knowledge here!) and if the company is small and you don't plan on hanging around if they give you a job - just doing to get the first job on the CV - this might be fine.

But a friend of mine did not declare their degree (this was years ago when they were less common in the UK) and this was with a big company and he had to leave in the end coz he could not get on without it and could not tell them he had one.
Top Boss
just starting

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 02:57:16 PM »

That is terrible, you work for years then get turned away for lack of experience.

Unfortunately, you may need to make a short term change in your career path to gain some experience.  When you have sufficient experience in a chosen field, you should have more chance of using your MBA qualification.

Good luck.

stanford
liking it

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 08:54:37 PM »

I have an MBA from Stanford University.  I graduated 14 years ago and was told I could easily make $100,000 a year starting out and everybody would want to hire me because I was a Stanford graduate. My first job was at GMC making $60,000 a year.  I stayed`on that carreer path till I got a better job offer in Detroit working at K-Mart Headquarters making $80,000.  From there I got another job offer working with a friend in Carolina making $100,000.  Life was good.  I had a beautiful home, wife, 5 children. Then things changed. My friends company wasn't doing well.  He wasn't able to pay his employees and I soon left the business.  I quickly tried looking for work, but had no luck. Companies were hiring, but no one was willing to pay the salary I needed for my expenses.  Being older now and having more financial responsibilities I needed to make at least $100,000 a year to support my 5 children, pay my morgage, repay my huge student loan bill, car payments, insurance, ulity bills, credit cards, etc.  After nearly a year of looking for work and falling deeper in debt, I had to beg a friend to hire me.  Thankfully he did, but it is only temperary.  He pays me $85,000 a year.  I'm just getting by paying my bills.  I soon realized that just because you have an MBA from a top college there is no guarantee you will me financially succesful or get a career that you are happy with. Life is not easy.  Sometimes I wonder if getting my MBA was worth it.  I know a degree is important, but maybe I should have talked to more people and did more research regarding job expectations after graduation.  Many people question the paths they have taken in life.  You are not alone my friend. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 04:54:49 AM by stanford » Report to moderator   Logged
freeform
settling in

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »

Perhaps self-employment could be an option. Freelance business consulting perhaps?

My own experience was slightly different, I had the wrong degree for what I wanted to do. I took a freelance sales agent role to get me started, learned the skills I needed and then started my own consultancy business a few years later.

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
lava
liking it

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:38:13 AM »

Thanks for all your advice.  I have gone to back to my college and talked to someone in the career development office.  They just gave me brochures and pamphlets regarding how to write a good resume and what to say during an interview.  I have also gone to career fairs at colleges with little success. The only place that was interested in me was working at an insurance company.  I had to take tests to become a licensed insurance agent.  The job pay was all commission.  That meant if I didn't make a sale, I didn't get paid.  If I did make a sale, I had to split the commission with my manager.  I did not like that job at all! How many people do you know enjoy being harassed by salesmen?  Calling you during dinner time and trying to convince you to add stuff to your insurance policy so you can pay more money! For now I will network with people and keep looking on-line for a job. I'm hoping one day my degree will open more doors for me!
Greg
liking it

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 09:28:35 PM »

Hi Lava,

Don't feel bad that your MBA hasn't open doors for you.  In my opinion its not your fault.  The job market has changed over the years.  Many jobs are now overseas such as China and India.  Companies are in the market to save money and make a large profit.  Look at all the factory jobs that have left the US.  Even companies such as Microsoft, has open up in in both India and China.  These jobs are not just blue collar jobs, but white collar jobs too.  Its getting harder and harder every year to find good jobs.  Why pay someone $22,000 USD a year to work in a call center when they can pay someone in India $2,700 a year.  It appears that the American dream does not exist anymore.  Its overseas now.
HelenJames
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »

I have send you in pm
denielmark
just starting

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »

it is right.now a days no mba no job.beyound it must have experiences.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace