Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 30, 2014, 01:57:27 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Employers Paying More Attention To Staff Timekeeping
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Employers Paying More Attention To Staff Timekeeping  (Read 511 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 29, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »

In the tough economic climate, employers are tightening up on employee lateness, a survey by Career Builder UK has found. Over a third (39%) of business leaders in the UK reported they are paying more attention to what time workers arrive than they had in healthier economic cycles.

Of more than 100 employers questioned, 15% said they would sack an employee who was late two or three times while 12% would sack the employee for being tardy four or five times.

However, 46% of UK employers said they didn’t care if their employees are running late as long as their work is completed on time with good quality.

When asked to share the most unusual excuses workers gave to explain their late arrivals, European employers offered the following real-life examples:

Employee said there was a bank robbery in front of his house.
      Employee was delayed by volcanic ash.
      Employee was concerned about an impending comet impact.
      Employee reported that a horse jumped over a hedge straight on top of her car.
      Employee’s cat was stuck in the cat flap.
      Employee’s house was on fire.
      Employee’s car was blocked in by a stolen car and the police were taking fingerprints.
      Employee had difficulty adjusting to the climate change from winter to summer.
      Employee said someone moved his teeth.
      Employee said, "I always leave at the same time. Sometimes I’m late, sometimes I’m not. I can’t figure it out."

James Carmody, principal at Reculver Solicitors said that "in the majority of cases, it should not be necessary to escalate minor lateness issues to a formal disciplinary procedure", noting that most employers recognise that staff often work their lunch hours and generally put in a lot of extra hours without additional payment.

Mr Carmody commented: "It is important, though, to be consistent with staff, and it may well be unfair to discipline one person for lateness, but let someone else get away with it."
Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace