Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 31, 2014, 12:25:22 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Many Failing To Read Employment Contracts Properly
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Many Failing To Read Employment Contracts Properly  (Read 1079 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 08, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »

At least 5.1 million Brits fail to read their employment contracts properly, according to new research from Which? Legal Service.

In a survey of over 4,000 members of the British public, the consumer group found that 26% of workers only skim read their employment contracts, while 6% admitted to not having read them at all.

Only three in ten employees received their contract before starting their job, and 9% didn't get a contract until they'd been in the post for six months or more.

Overall, at least two million workers in Britain do not have an employment contract.

Which? Chief Executive, Peter Vicary-Smith, said:

"Our research shows that many people fail to take the time to read their employment contracts properly, which means they have no idea what they've signed up to and could be in for a shock in the future.

"Always read your contract before signing it and check that the terms such as salary, holiday entitlement, notice period and redundancy procedure are in line with what your employer agreed at your interview. Dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's could pay dividends in the long-term."

All employers are required to issue employees with a written statement of certain terms of employment. Workplace Law's Employment Contract and Management Guide v.5.0 has been published to help employers ensure that they comply with their requirements under law and to provide a clear record of the agreement between employer and employee.

Areas covered by the contract include:

* Job title and duties;
    * Hours of work;
    * Salary;
    * Pensions and benefits;
    * Expenses and deductions;
    * Holiday entitlements;
    * Absence and sick pay;
    * Confidentiality;
    * Termination;
    * Disciplinary and grievance procedures;
    * Health and safety; and
    * Data protection.
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »

I must admit I tend to be a skim reader when it comes to contracts though a huge part of it for me is whether or not I trust my employer. I've had some not so great past jobs (two in particular for taxi firms) where I had to go through that contract with a fine tooth comb to check things are OK but when I trust my boss it's not really that necessary for me. 

Jason
liking it

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »

I once sneaked in a clause to a contract that an employee could be disciplned for leaving the office and returning without a suasage roll, it was of course a joke.
She spotted it, I was impressed.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »

Grin
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »

Did she get the job Jason?
Jason
liking it

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »

Actually she already worked for a place that I took over, nobody had employment contracts in place (which os no good for either party) so it was just a case of formalising the relationship.  She already had the job, but I think it shows dillegence and attention to detail...

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace