Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 16, 2014, 05:08:49 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Important Interview - what should I wear?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Important Interview - what should I wear?  (Read 3888 times)
Serious
just starting

« on: March 09, 2007, 02:59:21 PM »

I have a job interview with a bank and wondered if it was OK to wear a smart trouser suit to the interview, or do I need to wear a suit with a skirt.   
Report to moderator   Logged
perpetualseeker
just starting

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »

I think that as long as you look smart you will be OK.  After all they are not recruiting you to be a model - or at least I don't think so.
tryinghard
just starting

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

If you wanted to be really sure you could always go to outside their building at the end of the working day and see what people are wearing
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »

I think that there is no question that you need to wear a suit with a skirt.  Sensible shoes ? ca 1.5 inch heals!  Not flats and not really high. 
Looking at what others are wearing is not a bad idea but be sure you can spot the people who are doing the job that you aspire to be doing!  Also what you wear when you have been working somewhere for a while can be a little more relaxed than when you first start, and certainly what you wear to interview.

Also, if you are going to lots of interviews make a note of what you wear so that you do not make the mistake of wearing it to the second interview!

Serious
just starting

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »

Thanks for all the comments.  I think I might have a look at people going into work ? I have a week before the interview but will probably go with the skirt!
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:02:10 PM »

If it is a new suit or you are not used to wearing that sort of outfit make sure you wear it round the house a bit just to get comfortable.  And try sitting in a low sofa in it as well ? ideally in front of a mirror!

Tammy
just starting

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 02:01:55 AM »

And watch the jewelry, especially if you are a guy!
freeform
settling in

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »

If you are a guy the whole skirt idea takes on a new perspective.  Grin

As a simple rule of thumb, if in doubt go 'smarter'. Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone came into an interview at my business in a trouser suit (then again I'm not a bank) but even though we're quite relaxed I'd still expect someone to dress to impress.

I'm not hiring them for their dress sense but I am hiring them for their professionalism.

Mark Nagurski
FreeForm Media
Marketing support for small businesses
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 09:59:47 PM »

I did think about adding in 'if you are a woman' but could not find a good way to phrase it so decided that since it was sort of obvious I would take the risk of not mentioning it  Smiley

HireScoresMark
Forum Moderator
just starting

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 01:30:33 PM »

especially if you are a guy!

More that part really I'm guessing  Grin

Tammy
just starting

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 02:17:47 PM »

Hi Mark

I guess my Scottish ancestry means I am used to seeing guys in skirts so it was only the jewelry that I was worried about.
netpal
just starting

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »

It's good if an candidate wears formal dress. One should look smart and that is all what the interviewer looks into the candidate. There should not be anything which might be odd and attracting  unwanted attentions.
Wayne
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 09:33:51 PM »

What an employer wants to see is that you have taken the time to dress smartly. You have made the effort and this they will see as positives for you to bring to their business. Women and trouser suits I will be very honest and say that I would avise against for an interview as they have the sense of power dressing which can send the wrong message to the interviewer.
The skirt most definately but follow the advice of practicing sitting down in front of a mirror making sure that the skirt is long enough to maintain a professional image.
simacaj
just starting

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 02:19:09 AM »

You have to dress for your job.  For example I am in the computer business and it makes more sense for me to wear a shirt and a tie for my job interview.  Usually people in the computer industry are more casual than other industries.  I would only wear a suit and tie if I was going for some management position.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace