Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 29, 2014, 05:37:04 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Would you recommend listing your hobbies on a resume?
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Would you recommend listing your hobbies on a resume?  (Read 9197 times)
MaryG
liking it

« on: June 25, 2007, 08:31:54 PM »

I have seen many people who list their hobbies and interests on their resume.  I think the purpose of this is make your resume more personal and colorful.  Does anyone else include it on their resume?  What are your thoughts on it?
Report to moderator   Logged
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:53:37 AM »

I don't list my hobbies on my resume.  That's because I have so many other important characteristics about myself that is defined in my resume.  Sure, I'd love to tell them I enjoy fishing, playing golf, or working on my motorcycle, but it doesn't seem to look professional when your trying to get a job as an accountant or engineer.  Wouldn't you agree?
mphcoach
just starting

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »

No.

It's a job you are going for and the list of hobbies will not get you the job, unless there is a relevance to the role (and even then it might be a bit tricky as it could look contrived).

Regards

Martin
http://www.HowToWinAtAssessmentCenters.com

Martin Haworth - Coach, Author & Stuff!
www.HowToLandYourDreamJob.com
HRManager
just starting

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:59:09 AM »

I have always said not to list hobbies. Also not to list family members (men more than women tend to say how many children and their ages!).

With hobbies the can look contrived as mpcoach says - but even worse can put up barriers that you want to avoid and lead the interviewer to make stereotype judgements (v bad) or just decide they don't like you (also to be avoided).  This would be an issue with hobbies to do with sport, religion, politics, and so on. Also things like reading (solitary), discos (party animal) and so forth. So really best to keep them off the CV/resume.

HR Manager
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »

I am another clear No vote on this topic.

Interestingly in looking around at CV writing sites and forums as part of HireScores.com I have seen more people recommending hobbies on CVs as part of your CV than I would have expected.  The argument runs that it helps the interviewer get a full picture of you. 

I, however, continue to say leave them off.  Once you have sanitised your list for political correctness and the removal of bias it will at best look artificially positive and at worst totally contrived.  You would be left with some sort of charitable activities (but no actual charity mentioned to avoid bias) and team sports (played for fun not competition).  Smiley 

misch.chief
just starting

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »

Do include them, at the bottom, as they give an insight to your personality, but don't go in to depth as they aren't that important.
lava
liking it

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »

While I understand how some people would use it to make their resume more personable, that's really not what a resume is for.....it's to list the facts. They can get to know your personality in an interview.

That being said, if a serious hobby is related to the job, then go ahead. For example, if you are the president of a photography committee, and you're applying for a photographer job at the local newspaper, it would be nice to include that detail. 
Betty
liking it

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

I think adding your hobbies and interests can be included in your CV, but certain restrictions should apply.  For example:

Add your interests and hobbies if they are relevant to the job you are applying.

Also if you are just starting out and don't have much job experience to list on your CV, you fill up more space by listing your interests and hobbies. 
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »

I don't think I'd include a sub-heading 'Hobbies' though I have had a 'Personal Interests' paragraph. I know they're almost the same but I think the latter sounds more professional. I still do have it but it's on a third page so when sending out my CV in the past I decided whether or not to send that page out. I think it's probably a good thing as, as somebody alluded to, a company is hiring a person not a job robot.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 06:34:26 PM »

Sometimes it might sound like you wont have time to work.

Like, I play football, I like clubs and pubs, the cinema, concerts.

If I read that I'd be like, will they be here at all or ringing in sick all the time?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »

That's why I think personal interests sounds better.

I'm a member of a local Church and in the past have done certain amounts of voluntary work there. Whilst I in no way do that to look good when applying for jobs it can't hurt I would hope. Unless the employer is an atheist perhaps.

I've also moderated several egroups and used to co-run a website for a band so these things look good as I guess they show a certain amount of administrative experience. If that's what the job requires of course.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »

True but some of don't have such noble out of work activities.

Do you not think being a member of a local football team shows great team work?
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »

I always keep personal hobbies and such off my CV. It's got nothing to do with the person I want to work for after all surely?
Human Resources Philippin
just starting

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:39 AM »

Your hobbies can tell what your personality is and that it's the reason why HR departments ask that question. First of all, interviewers are looking forward to knowing you and how would you interact with them. The skills and abilities are not the only important thing but the character of the applicant is another factor. You can exclude those in your resume but be sure to introduce yourself to the interviewer for them to know you more and completely what you are.

hr consulting philippines
Staffing Agency Makati
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 01:24:11 PM »

I've always put hobbies on my CV but only as a few sentences. I wouldn't go over the top with them or they might think you wont have time to work.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace