Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 20, 2014, 06:57:13 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)How do you handle bullies at work?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: How do you handle bullies at work?  (Read 3832 times)
Timber
liking it

« on: June 19, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »

I know there are many people at work that have to deal with someone who bullies people around.  This creates a very uncomfortable environment for people at work and can hurt the productivity of the company.  So what is the proper way to handle this type of situation?  Any advice?
Report to moderator   Logged
Greg
liking it

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »

In dealing with a bully, it is important to set up boundaries.  You also need to listen and agree with the bully with just cause.  By doing this you are letting them know that you care what they have to say and they will be more willing to compromise.  Although I must admit, talking to a bully is very difficult.  Often it takes practice to make the bully respect your decisions and follow through on their word. Don't be surprise if you go through several meetings until they eventually show their respect towards you.
lilo
just starting

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »

I know there are many people at work that have to deal with someone who bullies people around.  This creates a very uncomfortable environment for people at work and can hurt the productivity of the company.  So what is the proper way to handle this type of situation?  Any advice?

The worse answer to your question is "to become a bully yourself". Of course, I don't agree with that. I'd rather go for the "embarrassing him" technique, and not by insulting him, but by proving you are better than him on various levels. Here's how:

http://www.cvtips.com/bullies_at_work.html

Do not answer the stupid with stupid things, right? Wink

Career adviser
syed2011
just starting

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »

In dealing with a bully, it is important to set up boundaries.  You also need to listen and agree with the bully with just cause.  By doing this you are letting them know that you care what they have to say and they will be more willing to compromise.  Although I must admit, talking to a bully is very difficult.  Often it takes practice to make the bully respect your decisions and follow through on their word. Don't be surprise if you go through several meetings until they eventually show their respect towards you.

But if you just do your work with honesty and responsibility you would never be called as a bully with this you should also have a little bit sense of humor to communicate with co-workers.

misch.chief
just starting

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »

If you feel you can't resolve the issue personally, then I would definitely make sure you go through the proper procedures and speak to a superior and explain to them.

If you are working for a half decent company they will make sure it gets resolved immediately and professionally.

The main thing to note is to make sure you don't suffer in silence and keep it professional.

Misch
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace