Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

August 29, 2014, 07:04:31 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Job didnt exist
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Job didnt exist  (Read 6376 times)
Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« on: September 29, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »

I found an ideal vacancy posted on Career Structures website by James Gray Associates.

The location was incorrect, the salary was in a high band so as to be included in all search results, the company had not just secured a contract as the details stated.

When I went to the interview (back in August) I was informed that they had a possible vacancy for 1st January 2011 and the whole thing was over in 30 minutes.  It took two hours for me to travel each way and I spent the previous day researching the company.

Later that afternoon I was asked by the agency if I would completed a personality questionaire for the client and that this was agood sign as I was the only interviewee being asked to do this and it was the next stage in the employment process.

Six weeks then went past when I heard nothing from either the employer or the agency.  eventuially I was informed after two e mails to the employer that they situation remained unchanged and was likley to do so for the next six to eight weeks ending "I wish you luck with your search for employemnt"

Questions:
Dont senior managers realise it costs those out of work money to attend interviews?

Dont they have sufficient good manners to let candidates know where they stand after an interview, especailly when this has been requested?

Why do companies continue to advertise vacancies they clearly dont have on their websites?

Why dont recruitment agencies ENSURE vacancies exist before sending people for interview.
Report to moderator   Logged
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »

Obviously I can't comment on your specific experience but I am sorry you had a bad experience. I'm not sure if this is the norm but it wouldn't surprise me. Jobs advertised encourage one to send the agency a CV. Once the agency has that CV they can offer other jobs that they do have.
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »

So you are saying that agencies advertsie vacancies that DONT EXIST?

Why dont they just advertsie the jobs they do have?

After all isnt that the whole point?

OR
1) Are they scared another nasty agancy will come alone and steal their precious vacancy.

2) They just want to gather as many top quality CV's they can get so they can visit potential clients and use the CV's to get appointments.
ScottH
just starting

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »

Unfortunately, there are lots of recruiters out there who will post adverts for jobs that do not exist. This is the ideal way of both gathering CV's, and of squeezing information out of the candidates who have applied for the non existent job.

I have worked for 2 specific agencies, who enforced the posting of non existent jobs

However, we not all recruitment agencies are like that, so please dont tar us all with the same brush Smiley

Scott Harrison
SWGR
www.sw-gr.com
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »

So there we have it, confirmation agencies post jobs on job boards that DONT EXIST.
What is the industry doing about this disgraceful practice?

Scott how about you NAME those agencies that posted non existant vacancies?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »

I came to the conclusion long ago (when I was unemployed) that the majority of agencies did this. A few times I called certain agencies about jobs advertised I was basically told it was gone but to send my CV in. I'd imagine most of them do it but perhaps I'm too cynical?

Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »

Not cynical just realistic. 

I long suspected this practice went on and really even now dont understand why agencies collect CVs from people when they dont have any vacancies. When they do, these people will probably have jobs (in a normal market!) so the CVs will be of no use.  Unless churning is their option - getting someone to leave a job to fill a vacancy and then put someone else in the vacancy created by the person leaving.
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

After three months the employer after I chased him yet again finally said the building contract was being postponed indefinitely and the vacancy no longer even had the potential to exist.  At least what I had suspected has now finally been confirmed and we all know where we stand. 
However, it would have been a kindness to have confirmed this much much earlier.

Not that the useless agency ever came back to me at any time in the last 10 weeks!
syed2011
just starting

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »

I would say, its a technique of gathering CV for future use, no matter whether presently vacancy is avail or not.

forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »

I agree Syed.

But this isn't really fair is it?

Jason
liking it

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »

I worked in recruitment in 1998, one of my my first experiences was a particularly obnoxious client who called and asked for 10 Electricians for the morning, "Not 8, not 6, not 4, I need 10".  I knew I wouldn't get all 10 decent reliable people so I placed an advert so I could have people calling in whilst I called round trying to fill the vacancy.  I remember that 2 of the people responding to the ad got the job, the other 8 were supplied from our own database, but it took me 3 days to fill all positions.  Not very good performance but I was new.

I can imagine that some of the people calling about the job thought that it never existed in the first place.  I can catagorically assure everyone that the job DID exist but placing an ad in the Sun got you one hell of a response at the time.  I suppose it's very similar using jobs boards these days.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
Jasper9
having fun

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 12:49:40 PM »

This was an employer Not an agency.  He wasted his time and my money in expenses travelling the 200 mile round trip.
It would be madness to expect someone would be available and still intersted in 6 months from the date of the meeting - I wont call it an interview!
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »

If it was an employer it might be different because as we all know they like to hold your CV until something apropriate comes along.

Gota
having fun

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »

Why should they do this though? If you just applied for one specific thing?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

I think it's good that they do this. You can always say no thanks but it can't hurt you to receive a call from an agency asking if you'd like to try this or that could it?

Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace