Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 28, 2014, 08:08:29 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)Using your current skills
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Using your current skills  (Read 1754 times)
attagirl
settling in

« on: June 10, 2007, 03:21:39 PM »

I often find that when a person is having difficult finding a job, that they will turn to starting their own business with the skills they have. Or at least take on some jobs until something else comes along. How do employers perceive this and why might it have a negative effect.
Report to moderator   Logged
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:51:06 PM »

I think some employees may think this demonstrates your ability to take charge and create your own opportunities.  Others may see it as a negative.  They may feel that you may easily leave the company, especially since you are capable of generating money from starting your own business.  Remember, companies want their employees to remain loyal and avoid employee turnover.  knowing you could go back to your own business is definitely a threat.
Report to moderator   Logged
lilo
just starting

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:39:30 PM »

I often find that when a person is having difficult finding a job, that they will turn to starting their own business with the skills they have. Or at least take on some jobs until something else comes along. How do employers perceive this and why might it have a negative effect.

Ummm....there comes a time in life when job seekers find notyhing suitable for their current needs and it is true that they turn towards setting their own small business, based on their present skills. It's a good thing, if those skills prove to be productive enough in order for the business to resist. Some are lucky, some need to think about something else.
I've seen very skilled people who were fired from their forever company, after 15-20 years, with no other possibility but to LEARN NEW SKILLS. What about that?

http://www.cvtips.com/learn_new_skills.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 06:42:50 PM by lilo » Report to moderator   Logged

Career adviser
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace