Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 02, 2014, 10:23:34 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Arriving to work before the start time.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Arriving to work before the start time.  (Read 2707 times)
Jason
liking it

« on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:44 AM »

We have a rule at our work place that employees must arrive at work 15 minutes before they are due to start.  It seems obvious to me that this is to allow them to make their tea, start up their pc and have their morning chat about eastenders or the night out they had last night.

I have heard rumours from collegues and partners that actually making a point about policing this policy, and openly stating it as a rule may have consequences for pay and remuneration.

quickly googled for a discussion on yahoo that can be found here http://www.wikilaw3k.org/forum/Law-Legal-Jobs/Boss-says-i-must-arrive-15-minutes-before-my-shift-starts-309711.htm

So what do you think?
Report to moderator   Logged

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
Gota
having fun

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »

Personally I think making this a rule is too much. It can be "strongly advised" that you arrive 15 minutes early but a rule? What happens if someone arrives 5 minutes before they start? They aren't actually late because they aren't yet being paid.
Jason
liking it

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »

Personally I think making this a rule is too much. It can be "strongly advised" that you arrive 15 minutes early but a rule? What happens if someone arrives 5 minutes before they start? They aren't actually late because they aren't yet being paid.

Yes I understand why it might sound unreasonable, and nobody actually gets in trouble if they arrive 5 minutes before they are due to start, but if they then proceed to make a cup of tea, a bit of toast or cereal, then have a chat about whatever, then they get reminded about the 15 minute rule.  It's nice to have a laid back office with general chit chat not disapproved of, but when it's first thing in the morning usually when the phones are busiest, something has to give.

So it is always explained the reasoning behind the "rule", I mean it makes the working day have a more relaxed feel with nobody being asked to be quiet and get on with some work.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »

It sounds fine to me. If somebody (as you say) arrives just on time for work and then gets on with work that's different.
Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »

What is the world coming to?

Do we really need a START and FINISH time?

Why not go the whole hog and bring back time clocks.

Most proper jobs have something in the Contract of Employment or offer letter stating "required work hours necessary to fulfil the obligations and responsibilities associated with the job."

As for the 15 minutes early rule, lets see how that would stand up at a tribunal.
Join a union or take out legal protection Insurance to cover the costs of an Unfair Dismissal case.
Jason
liking it

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »

As for the 15 minutes early rule, lets see how that would stand up at a tribunal.
Join a union or take out legal protection Insurance to cover the costs of an Unfair Dismissal case.

Thanks for the valuable advice.  We have adequate legal representation thanks, it just costs a lot of money to use it.

Have you ever managed people?  Thought not.

Jasper9
having fun

New Homes and Building Expert

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:59:44 PM »

Jason, you are totally wrong.  I have been responsible for 1 million turnover a month on projects in the past.  I must have managed people o be able to achieve that eh?

I was also referring to a householder's legal protection Insurance add-on, not any company insurance.  Quite frankly, if it gets to a tribunal all employers should expect to lose.  everything is preventable, just a matter of negotiation and respect for the individuals position.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace