Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 29, 2014, 05:48:08 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)What are the top reasons employees reject resumes?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What are the top reasons employees reject resumes?  (Read 5441 times)
lava
liking it

« on: June 11, 2007, 11:13:33 PM »

I was wondering what are some of the top reasons employees will reject a resume?  I think one reason resumes are rejected, is if they are poorly formated with no organization.  This indicates that the candidate does not take the job seriously and is not willing to take the steps to present themselves as a professional applicant.  Does anyone have their own top reasons?
Report to moderator   Logged
ftdale
just starting

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 05:47:18 AM »

You mean why do employers reject resumes? The main reason for rejection is lack of experience and / or education, meaning the background, required for the job. Also, if the employer has specified a set of conditions, and teh resume does not match that - Example : Employer wants someone familiar with New York Healthcare companies, and the candidate has experience with healthcare, but not in New York. Anyway, something like that.
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:09:44 AM »

I once worked with someone who rejected resumes that did not have a cover letter attached or forgot to sign their cover letter.  She also indicated that she would reject resumes that did not explain the job position they were applying for.  She  often had several resumes to screen and felt she had to quickly overlook resumes for key words.  If they didn't have the key words she was looking for, they were pushed aside. 
lilo
just starting

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 04:18:22 PM »

I was wondering what are some of the top reasons employees will reject a resume?  I think one reason resumes are rejected, is if they are poorly formated with no organization.  This indicates that the candidate does not take the job seriously and is not willing to take the steps to present themselves as a professional applicant.  Does anyone have their own top reasons?

Yes, the truth is that the appearance of the resume is the first to catch the reader's eye. But there's more than that. It
's the so called resume mistakes, so often encountered...I for example, am sick of explaining things over and over again Cheesy

http://www.cvtips.com/resume_mistakes.html

Career adviser
mphcoach
just starting

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »

My top four would be:-
  • Not completing the requirements
  • Clearly poorly qualified candidates (for the role applied for
  • Bad grammar and spelling (depending on role applied for)
  • Scruffiness
Hope this helps

Regards

Martin
http://www.HowToWinAtAssessmentCenters.com

Martin Haworth - Coach, Author & Stuff!
www.HowToLandYourDreamJob.com
Serious
just starting

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:54:19 AM »

I would agree with your 4 mpcoach.  I think also there is the one where it is not clear how the person is suitable - so nothing to show how past experience is relevant and a sort of vague 'I want a job' type cover letter. I have always thought that this leaves too much work to the interviewer and would therefore get you screened out
CareerCreature
just starting

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:08:55 PM »

Not filling in enough info could play a big role.
misch.chief
just starting

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »

Basically a lack of experience and skill set, would be the main reason.
syed2011
just starting

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »

Top 10 Reason of RESUME Rejection are :
---------------

1.You tell lies
2.You disrespect your previous employers
3.You donít have enough potential
4.You donít explore the company
5.You are not enthusiastic
6.You are being personal
7.You only care for money
8.Lack of Research
9.Not having prepared questions
10.You are not experienced

Syed.
Cv Template
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:33:31 AM by syed2011 » Report to moderator   Logged

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 01:30:15 AM »

Smiley
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 01:41:19 AM »

Thanks for this Syed.
ann.gina
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

The lack of relevant experience is a large part. Know exactly what the job is that you are applying for. People waste time by applying for lots of jobs, whereas focusing on smaller well suited job vacancies would be a better use of your time.
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forums here at HireScores.com.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace