Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

August 01, 2014, 04:44:31 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)What circumstances would cause you to quit without notice
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: What circumstances would cause you to quit without notice  (Read 1505 times)
attagirl
settling in

« on: June 10, 2007, 12:36:55 AM »

We are always told to always give a two week notice to your employer, however I am sure there are times that you would quit without doing this. What would you consider to be acceptable when doing this.
Report to moderator   Logged
petermason2000
just starting

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:38:52 PM »

Not many.  I have a family to support and a mortgage to pay for.  Besides, people don;t really quit jobs, they quit people.  SOmeone would probably have to endanger my health or threaten me physically before I would consider doing this.  A blatant disregard for my safety that results in a close call or an actual injury would be a good reason.  Currently, the alarm system in the restaurant where I work is not fully operational, and I am not authorized to fix it.  I am extremely careful, but if I were to be robbed as a result, I would probably turn in my keys right then.  Also, if the circumstances were such that I was in a such a bargaining position that they would have to pay me off (settle a potential suit) for the reason I was quitting, I might do that to.

My grandfather always taught me to never quit a job unless you have another one lined up.
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »

The only reason I would quit a job without notice is if I was suffering from a sudden medical illness, felt my life was in danger, or a criminal act was done against me.  I have known people who quit their job after a huge agruement at work where they were blamed for something they did not do.  Basically, when people feel violated and threatened they will make quick decisions without notice.
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 11:02:05 PM »

In those extreme circumstances many employers give the individual 24 hours to cool off and decide what they want to do. I think that this is a good thing since things can get tense at work sometimes and 'I quit' is a natural (if short lived) anger reaction.

HRManager
just starting

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »

As an aside and a bit off topic.  Two weeks is good protocol in the US but in the UK notice periods are contractual (protected and laid down by law) and are not often less than 4 weeks and can be longer. So if you quit without notice you are in breach of your contract. Realistically a company is not going to sue you for breach but they can say something in your reference.  [and references tend to be more informative in the UK than the US.  In the US it is fairly normal to just confirm dates of employment. The UK is getting more cautious but it does still tend to give references].

HR Manager
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace