Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 26, 2014, 02:51:32 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Career vs. job
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Career vs. job  (Read 1656 times)
MaryG
liking it

« on: May 27, 2007, 04:48:32 PM »

I just thought I would share some thoughts on this topic, well, actually one thought on this topic. When I was working my way through college I had a lot of money making opportunities which I considered just "jobs". I never thought seriously about any of the things I did as a career or having the possibility of a career path as it wasn't within my field of study. However I think now I overlooked the possibility that something that is "just a job" can easily develop into a career if it holds your interest enough and the inner workings of the environment intrigue you. For example, working as a floor clerk in a department store didn't seem like much of a career to me at the time but if I had thought about the situation differently  I probably could have worked my way into a career in management or human resources within the same company. I guess the point is that it's not always wise to make such a clear cut distinction.
Report to moderator   Logged
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »

I would say there are some times where it's just the opposite. That it's okay to have a job that brings in enough money to pay the bills but is the type of thing that's meaningless to you and disappears from your consciousness the minute you're out the door.
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:32:14 PM »

The sad thing is that some people think that ones persons idea of a career is only a job, and that they are working a job as well when infact they are working in a career. So you see that ones person idea of career is something totally different from another persons.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace