Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 26, 2014, 01:18:42 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: Job Hunting and Interviews (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)How to look for a new job while currently employed?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: How to look for a new job while currently employed?  (Read 2278 times)
Greg
liking it

« on: May 18, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »

If you are currently working at a job, how do you go about looking for a new job?  It must be very difficult to find the time to look through want ads, schedule job interviews, and fill out job applications.  Are their any suggestions on how to go about doing this?  How do you arrange for a job interview while your at work?  How do you go about doing this so people at work don't know your thinking of levaing the company?
Report to moderator   Logged
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 07:54:28 PM »

That's always so tricky. I suppose you spend a lot of time filling out applications and sending out resumes after your work hours. Scheduling an interview is much tougher. If the interviewers are willing to do an early morning interview or a close to the end of the day interview it can be easier to come in late or leave a little early for "an appointment".  In terms of leaving a position and not wanting people to know, I've always had a colleague or two to whom I was close enough to confide and be able to use as a reference. And I've always been very honest with in an interview and mentioned whether or not my current employer is aware of the fact that I am hunting for a new job so that they can be more discreet in looking for reference information.
lava
liking it

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:16:48 AM »

Some people try to schedule interviews during their lunch break. Another suggestion is to take a day off from your job to schedule job interviews, complete job applications, meet with job recruiters, and attend career fairs.  Its never easy to find time to look for a new job while working at your current job.  Sometimes the only solution is to take time off and devote your time to job hunting.
Maya
just starting

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »

I would do that in my own time - in the evenings and at weekends. There is so much information on the internet these days. If you get an interview, then ask for a day's leave. As a manager myself, I would appreciate anyone telling me if they wanted to move elsewhere, so that I could consider recruitment.
ftdale
just starting

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:46:49 AM »

That's what job help agencies are there for. Go see a recruiter, or email him or whatever, and tell him that you're real busy, but still want to find a new job. Tell him you're available on weekends, or whatever time is convinient for you. He'll do the application and scheduling. You just need to land up for the interview.
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 07:30:32 PM »

You definitely want to look for a new job on your own time, as you are being paid by your current employer to work. You need to make sure that your efforts cannot be foiled by your current job. If you do not intend to tell you current employer that you are looking for a new job, you will need to make sure that you specify that they do not contact them as this could be problematic for you and may even cost your current job if the employer finds out you planned to leave.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace