Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 25, 2014, 07:56:10 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Should The Retirement Age Be Scrapped?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Should The Retirement Age Be Scrapped?  (Read 637 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: March 20, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »

Equalities Minister, Harriet Harman, has said the default retirement age (DRA) should be scrapped.

In an interview with the Daily Mail recently, Harman said that people should not be forced to work beyond 65 but should have the option to be able to carry on working into their 70s and 80s if they choose to.

Harman also said that, like parents with young children, these workers should also have the right to request flexible working.

Speaking at an Age Concern / Help The Aged conference in central London recently, Harman said that the increase in the number of well, older people demands a change in public policy. She told event attendees that we must recognise the emergence of the 'wellderly' and the role that well, elderly people play in their families, in the economy and in society.

Harman commented:

"We still have to challenge the old-fashioned notion that defines you through your importance to the world of work, and that when you no longer work sees you as ‘past it’. We still have more to do to tackle the attitude that once you reach 60 you are just treading water until you become frail and dependent.

"This is important not just for those individuals concerned but for the economy as a whole.  We have to banish the ageism in the workplace that costs the economy up to £31bn per year due to lost GDP.

"Ageism against older women in the media is also a serious problem. While the broadcast media finds it possible to value the older man as having experience and wisdom they don’t seem to be able to value the older woman in the same way.

"Older people are the last remaining group that society deems it acceptable to discriminate against. This is a problem that we are determined to tackle at the highest level, which is why our Equality Bill reinforces this Government’s commitment to ending age discrimination wherever it arises."

The Equality Bill, which entered committee stage in the House of Lords recently, will strengthen the law when it comes to older people and those who look after them by:

* providing new legal protection from discrimination to those at work because they are caring for an older member of their family;
* placing a legal obligation on public bodies, such as planning authorities, to protect and promote the needs of older people when planning their services; and
* banning age discrimination in the provision of goods and services so that older people are not unfairly disadvantaged in things such as travel insurance and loans.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:41:09 PM by forum admin » Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »

Obviously I'm no politician but as long as people aren't forced in any way to work longer I don't see what's wrong with this.
Report to moderator   Logged

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »

I'm one of the opinion that the retirement age should be lowered. But then I took early retirement so I probably would think that.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace