Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

July 25, 2014, 04:38:55 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Gas prices affect job hunting?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Gas prices affect job hunting?  (Read 1058 times)
MaryG
liking it

« on: May 14, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »

Do you think the high and still rising gas prices will affect people's approach to job hunting? I'm wondering if it will make people less likely to look for jobs beyond their current living area. I also wonder whether companies are going to be less willing to fly candidates out to interview for jobs because the airfare costs reflect the high fuel costs.
Report to moderator   Logged
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 06:40:32 PM »

Interesting.  Potentially even more relevant is whether the communting costs will reduce the distance people are willing to travel to work?  Namely, they look for jobs which are only a short drive away?

Chevy
liking it

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:11:41 PM »

Both of you bring up good questions. It would be great if it made for some positive change in encouraging commuters to do more carpooling than they already do. Especially in places where there is little reliable public transportation.
Greg
liking it

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:07:16 AM »

I think candidates will take into account the number of miles it takes to go to work  when they are looking for a job.  Who knows when the gas prices will go down.  For all we know, the prices will continue to rise.  The rise in gas prices will take a bite out of your take home pay check.  When you start doing the math, you begin to realize your working for less and less money, since it is going into gas. The sad thing is, the increase in gas prices trickles down to other services that rely on gas as well.  Its an endless cycle that does not seem to be ending any time soon. 
MaryG
liking it

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »

Greg makes another good point that I hadn't thought too much about when I first posed the questions. For those of us who travel for work (not just the commute, but for the work) the cost effectiveness of that type of a job is becoming less and less. Many places aren't reimbursing at cost efficient rates for mileage. I know that in some of the work I've done in the past the mileage rate was locked in by the state government and couldn't be changed for a few months. It got to the point where I was thinking about setting up a separate bank account into which I could deposit mileage reimbursement directly and use that account for gas.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace