Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 24, 2014, 10:06:37 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Initiatives To Get Brits Back To Work 'Should Be Applauded'
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Initiatives To Get Brits Back To Work 'Should Be Applauded'  (Read 1511 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: January 02, 2010, 10:33:41 AM »

Any initiative which aims to get the long term unemployed back into the labour market should be given the full backing of the government and industry, it has been claimed.

Phil Flaxton, chief executive officer of Work Wise UK, said the Department for Work and Pensions plan to send long term unemployed individuals on work trials or face losing their benefits is a step in the right direction.

He commented: "I think this is a real thorny subject which has probably been rolling around for the last couple of decades: 'How do you get [the] long-term unemployed back to work?'."

According to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics, the number of unemployed people, the unemployment rate and the claimant count have all increased in recent months.
Report to moderator   Logged

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »

This kind of thing has always been banded about. Surely if it actually worked we wouldn't keep hearing about it it would just be happening.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 04:09:09 PM »

I assume for whatever reason this cannot be enforced?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »

I think it's something politicians say around election times but since it's something they ALWAYS say I'd agree with the theory that it probably cannot be enforced. I'm sure it's not such a black and white thing really.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:55:51 PM »

I think in many cases this should be done. People who have been out of work for some time can get into a rut and even though many may not want to do this kind of thing I think in the long term it would be good for them.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »

I'm not sure about forcing people to work though.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 01:31:20 AM »

The question is of course is it "forcing" or is it "encouraging"?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »

As long as it's not forcing I think it's fine. Though after being unemployed in the past I can understand that some people may need a gentle nudge...after all the benefits we receive should not be and are not unconditional.

Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace