Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 26, 2014, 01:18:39 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)When complaining backfires
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: When complaining backfires  (Read 1946 times)
Chevy
liking it

« on: May 24, 2007, 08:17:59 PM »

I read a disturbing piece on the Wall Street Journal's CareerJournal site today which described a situation in which an employee, following the advice of mentors and peers, addressed some concerns with his boss and ended up being nearly driven out of his job due to his boss' infuriated reaction. I have to wonder how it is that there seem to be many people at the top of the chain of command who are so unwilling to listen to criticism?
(Here's the link if you wanted to read the article: http://www.careerjournal.com/columnists/cubicleculture/20070523-cubicle.html?cjpos=home_whatsnew_major)
Report to moderator   Logged
franglix
just starting

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »

Reading between the lines it seems that judging by the reaction of the boss, the delivery of the 'how can I help' lines may have lacked the right intonation and ended up patronising.  If it also came across as a power-shifting 'let me counsel you' request, it could have been irritating - especially if it was 'every conversation'.

We equally have no information about the personalities involved.  Delivered well I think this can work, but only with a good relationship in place, and this was unlikely to be the case - this person was describing their boss as someone 'who never had time for him'.

I've never met an unreasonable boss, just unreasonable situations. 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:31:05 PM by franglix » Report to moderator   Logged

www.franglix.com - free-lancing with web sites
ftdale
just starting

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »

I've never met an unreasonable boss, just unreasonable situations.

True. The priority would be what's good for the Boss, what's good for the company and then what's good for you, the employee, in that order. So, when you're trying to take something up the chain, you should first analyze where your suggestions stand, as per this chain.
Top Boss
just starting

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »

I think there are two main issues here :-

- If there are problems / concerns, you need to make people aware of them.
- You need to put them across in the right way.

It may be sensible to approach the person who is causing the problem, and make them aware of your feelings.  This gives them the chance to react, think things through and come back to you in their own time. 

If they take this the wrong way, start being awkward, etc I think you need to go above this person, to their boss.
franglix
just starting

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:22:35 PM »

Top boss... is your name indicating you are at the top of an organisational chain, or on top of your organisational domain?

If it is the former, how do you handle someone who has bypassed the immediate person (who would be directly responsible for a given personnel issue), and how would you feedback to that person who rationally should deal better with the complaint and has been bypassed?

www.franglix.com - free-lancing with web sites
attagirl
settling in

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 12:20:45 AM »

Unfortunately when you have to go above your supervisors head such as when it involves the supervisor you may be looked at poorly on reviews (where the supervisor has to rate your work). You are kind of screwed in many cases.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace