Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

November 22, 2014, 06:49:02 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)UK Workers Giving Employers 1.5 Billion In Unpaid Hours A Week
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: UK Workers Giving Employers 1.5 Billion In Unpaid Hours A Week  (Read 756 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: November 21, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »

A new survey has found that UK workers and employees work around four extra hours each week unpaid. At the average national salary of £23,450 this means that employers receive £1.5bn unpaid labour per week.

Workers from Sheffield work the most unpaid hours in the country, giving on average 6.4 extra hours labour per week. 12% of the survey respondents across the country said they thought they worked over 7 hours unpaid every week.

58% of respondents said they are working more unpaid hours than ever before, with 71% saying they regularly work through lunch breaks, and 44% saying they often work late.

Almost half (45%) said they ate whilst they worked in order to get more work done. Three-quarters of employees said they’d work longer hours if it meant keeping their job.

Ash Ali, Marketing Director of online takeaway site Just-Eat.co.uk, which carried out the research, commented: “Our study shows that Brits are really selling themselves short in a bid to keep their jobs, where some employees are giving their employers an extra day’s work a week in unpaid man-hours. Whether the bosses recognise and appreciate this extra effort is another matter.”
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »

I guess this is a fine line between people WANTING to do a bit of extra work and feeling like THEY HAVE TO do the extra work. One is fine IMHO and one isn't.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:17:07 PM »

I think this matters actually and employers shouldn't let it happen.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »

It sounds a lot of cash when you say employers make 1 and a half billion a week but really they don't make anything. I mean a few minutes here and a few minutes there probably make up the time people spend going to the toilet or chatting or surfing the net. I don't have a problem with this at all. If there was a survey on what was lost due to these things it would probably make it even.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace