Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 31, 2014, 05:51:12 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Should you use a resume service
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Should you use a resume service  (Read 2252 times)
simacaj
just starting

« on: April 30, 2007, 02:29:32 AM »

I have heard that many people use a resume service to write their resume for them.  Here are a few things you should ask yourself before you go right away and use this service. 

First is that recruiters usually spend less than 5 minutes looking at your resume. If you can't impress them then you might want to use this service

Second is if you are not good with spelling or grammar you may want to use this service.  A simple error on your resume could really hurt you.

Third is if you have the time to write a good resume.  Many people are busy and it may just be easier for you to get this done.
Report to moderator   Logged
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:37:05 AM »

An interesting post - thanks!

I personally have not used such a service - but instead have got feedback from a trusted head hunter who was kind enough to go through two versions of my CV for me!

I think that they do have a role and contribution - and your points as to when you should definitely use them are spot on. 

It is also worth noting that there are some quite different levels of service.  At the basic level this gives you access to someone who had a lot of experience of CVs and can give you both a critique and some useful insights on how to improve.  These reviews are not costly and I think for someone seriously looking for a new job - particularly in a competitive area or new direction - it could well be worth the money.

You then have the 'bespoke' writing services.  These are a costly investment.  They too have their place and will not doubt be a useful opportunity for someone who is inexperienced in job applications to really understand how to sell themselves.  In the UK senior people this is quite a few hundreds of pounds so a real investment is required.

Serious
just starting

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »

I think that another good time to use such a service is if you are applying for a job in a different country when you have less idea about what a CV or Resume should look like.  I noticed some of the other threads talk about different lenghts and approaches between countries.
Seb
just starting

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:40:37 AM »

Definitely for spelling and grammar and getting the message across.  I would be cautious however, about some of them trying to be too 'avant guarde' - jazzy colours, layout etc - since I am not sure this works for all industries.
Forum Management
Forum Management
Administrator
settling in

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »

Don't forget to check out HireScores.com  If you rate recruiters that you have used you get a chance to win a CV review and/or an interview coaching session.  This way you can try it out for free and report back to us all here.  Unfortunately I cannot win the prize else I would do it for you Grin

HireScores.com has been fortunate

Forum Management

HireScore.com Forum: bringing together recruiters, candidates and hiring companies

Have you visited HireScores.com?
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »

Good point! 

HireScores.com has been fortunate to secure sponsorship from three companies working in this area and we have some great give aways to people who register and rate recruiters.  Frankly even I would be interested in getting a professional review of my CV if it were free Smiley

Forum Management
Forum Management
Administrator
settling in

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:47:37 AM »

And, while on the subject, in the interests in international clarity - a CV is a Resume and a Resume a CV. Some minor style differences but nothing else. 

Forum Management

HireScore.com Forum: bringing together recruiters, candidates and hiring companies

Have you visited HireScores.com?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace