Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 16, 2014, 06:25:26 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Expert Questions Legality Of Using Facebook To Hire
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Expert Questions Legality Of Using Facebook To Hire  (Read 924 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: October 27, 2009, 05:55:19 PM »

An expert has warned of the potential legal repercussions of using Facebook and Twitter as a hiring tool.

"It's an informal group and for an informal audience," said Shafiq Lokhanwala, chief executive officer of Nuview Systems.

The expert warned that the line between social and professional spheres is being blurred, citing the example of where a candidate's offer of employment was rescinded when the would be employer found comments written on a social networking site by the candidate that the job was merely a stepping stone and that he wasn't really that interested.

That scenario presents no specific problems for the organisation, but if they rescinded the offer based on a comment made on a social networking site by the candidate's friend, and not by them, or it is the wrong person, there could be legal problems, according to the expert.

For organisations considering using social networking sites, Mr Lokhandwala suggests using such platforms only to confirm social fit once a candidate has been hired, but not in the actual hiring decision itself.

Potential legal repercussions aside, Lokhandwala said there is just too much information on social networks to make the recruitment process efficient.

It comes as an expert last week said that people should have two Facebook accounts, one personal and one professional.

A spokesperson for ClickAJob is sceptical of such wisdom.

"Like it or not, it's a fact of life that you're entirely responsible for what you say and do," he points out.

"If you shoot your mouth off in the pub and it gets back to your employer, you deserve everything that happens to you. Facebook is no different, only the place changes."

He goes on to say that cautious employers owe it to themselves to use social networking tools, particularly in a recession.

"With increased competition for jobs, especially if a high salary is at stake, not everyone is entirely scrupulous in the applications they make," he says.

"As many as 70% of applicants already tell porkies on their CVs, so employers really need to screen carefully to ensure they choose well - selecting a character that gets on well with the rest of the team and who fits the company culture," he continues.

"If applicants choose to be indiscreet online - the most public place in the world - that's their lookout."

Brandi Milton, coordinator of corporative education at the Florida A&M University Career Centre, said: "Be conscious of other people's comments."
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »

This is fascinating. Especially when these types of social websites are being utilised more and more by recruiters and people in the recruitment industry.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »

I may be new to Facebook but people aren't going to have two profiles. It just doesn't make sense. People don't seriously think they have a chance of finding a job via this route do they?
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »

I don't use it for anything other than keeping in touch with people but for the time being I've given up looking for a new job. Maybe in a few months time I will again. It wouldn't be the first place I'd think to look for a new job.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »

At this point I wouldn't think seriously about finding a job via Facebook. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »

Facebook would be the LAST place I'd look for a job.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace