Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 20, 2014, 06:57:36 PM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)New Career after Redundancy ??
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: New Career after Redundancy ??  (Read 1400 times)
kimkk10
just starting

« on: June 08, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I  have recently been made redundant from a job in IT/Insurance and I have been unable to find work in this field so I am looking for a career change.

I have been looking at the job profiles on this site and I have come up with a short list of jobs to go for and I am trying to investigate each of them.

The jobs I am looking at are:

Catering - Starting as a kitchen Assistant but working my way up with more experience.
IT - Computer Repairs
Hotel Porter
Bookmakers
Gardener

I have not got much experience in any of these and none of them are similar but I would be grateful if anyone has got any advice about getting work in any of these fields or advice about retraining.

I know for catering you need a Food & Hygiene certificate to be able to work and I have checked with my local college and they are not doing a course until September. I have seen courses online for about 25 and I was wondering if they are acceptable if I did one of those.

Thanks for any advice.
Report to moderator   Logged
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »

I think for a food and hygiene course it's best to wait until September to do it with your local college, that way you can be certain that it's legitimate and you have direct contact with people who can help you, not only with the course but also with possible job options. Also, they're often offer a part-time option so you can work and do your course at the same time. However, if the internet option is more convenient, why not phone a local hotel and ask if they could recommend a particular course, or advise you on the best route to take. Hope that helps!
holeary
just starting

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:00:18 PM »

I too was made redundant from the insurance industry as an admin assistant and am totally struggling to find something in the same area, so i guess re skiiling or going to college is the next possible step if the recruitment agency i've just signed upto can't perform a miracle! the only other option is to move does anyone know any hot spots for admin work?
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace