Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 16, 2014, 08:25:08 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreRecruitment: CVs/resumes and Applications (Moderators: Lisette, Forum Management)Resume length
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Resume length  (Read 2195 times)
simacaj
just starting

« on: April 30, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »

i would always say to keep your resume to 1 page.  I would have a brief overview of myself and then go into more detail when I have an interview.  The longer the resume the more often I found that I didn't get an interview.  Anyone else believe this or keeping a shorter resume?
Report to moderator   Logged
Betty
liking it

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 04:22:31 PM »

In todays cometitive job market many candidates are using 2 page resumes to put as much information about themselves as possible.  It is my understanding your resume should reflect the qualities that the job entails.  Many candidates will use 2 pages on their resume if its upper level jobs.  If you have been working for several years its expected that you have accumulated a lot of job experience and qualities that make you a better candidate.  For this reason it is ok to have a 2 page resume.
Chevy
liking it

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »

I would think that if you're not done on one page with all the information you need to provide a balanced and accurate picture of your experience and skills then two pages is necessary. Anything more than that is a little trickier. You can always have additional pages available to describe specific projects, publications, etc. and then  notate on your resume that these can be requested.
simacaj
just starting

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:51:43 PM »

I am glad that people agree with me.  There are a lot of times I see people with 3-6 page resumes and I see them tossed away.  I then always ask myself, "What were those people thinking!"
Danniet
just starting

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »

Wow, a 3-6 page resume. I can't imagine that. That is way too many words to ask a busy employer to wade through. I think 1-2 pages is enough for sure. I had to work hard to get my husband to shorten his down to one page because I just didn't feel everything there was neccessary.
Lisette
Forum Moderator
liking it

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 11:34:40 AM »

It is hard.  I think for a lot of people there is a feeling that if they do not include everything they might not get called for interview.  Yet in reality the Resume/CV is there not to give them all the information there is on you, but sufficient to make it look like you are a good fit to the vacancy and therefore worth interviewing.

This makes bullet points and stuff like that perfectly acceptable - it is not an essay.  And this helps keep the lenght down and the message 'on point'

simacaj
just starting

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:32:22 PM »

The bullet points are a good tip.  Make points that are related to the job and highlight some of your strengths.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace