Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 31, 2014, 05:52:04 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumCandidates, Job Seekers, Employees, Consultants & Contractors CentreCareer and Employment Advice (Moderator: HireScores.com admin)Jobseekers Employment Expectations Drop
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Jobseekers Employment Expectations Drop  (Read 2882 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: August 25, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »

Many jobseekers are revaluating their employment and career options, with 36 per cent of applicants prepared to take “whatever I can get”, according to a recent study.

Research by recruitment website CV-Library found that only 16 per cent of applicants are looking for a job better than their previous position. Unskilled trade candidates’ confidence is worst hit with 58 per cent prepared to take any position they can get.

Bernard Gaughan, general manager at blue collar recruiter Total Labour Solutions, told Recruiter he has seen an influx of applications from over-skilled candidates:

“In the main they are people who aspire to other jobs, like construction, but the very fact that they are willing to work in agriculture and the food sector is very commendable.”
Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »

During periods of unemployment in the past I've always had this "whatever I can get" mentality. The problem is when filling out Job Centre forms you can't put this down you have to specifically name a couple of sectors or areas that you would be prepared to work in. It actually says on the form, "please do not put anything or any job be as specific as possible".

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:41:07 PM »

I guess if you literally were to write anything on a jobseeker form you then wouldn't be able to complain when they tried to send you for part time cleaning jobs or working in McDonald's for minimum wage.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »

If you're looking for anything though what's wrong with that?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »

I think it's so that people in the Job Centre when they help you with a job search know what to look for. Each category of job has a code so they type that in and see what comes up. Customer service roles for examples. Even though somebody MIGHT be looking for anything you can't search online for simply "anything".

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »

I think this is probably correct. In my experience of the labour exchange they send you details of jobs that suit your profile in the post. Again they can't specifically search for anything so being more specific is a way that they can help you out the most.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »

It seems to me more so they can get you into a specific job that you may not want to do.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »

Ultimately the people in the job centre are there to help the out of work.

Gota
having fun

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:04:05 PM »

Or to catch them out.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »

I know what you're saying but in my experience it was to help you out. Or to help ME out. There was always a couple of jobsworths but they only gave you grief if you were not sticking to your end of the jobseekers plan. Which is fair enough. Some other people seemed like they didn't care what you were doing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:04:29 PM by Robin Tetley » Report to moderator   Logged

Jonicode
just starting

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »

Sadly, the drastic change was forced by the downward spiral of the economy. But on the brighter side, these could lead to the serendipitous event of triggering hidden or different skills. That being said, this is a reason why we should always consider tailoring our CV's to suit the certain requisites of various jobs.

Cheers,
Joni
Resume Builder
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »

I fully agree. It may be time consuming and this may sound rather trite but you really have to make finding a job THE job until your successful. It might be time consuming to make several versions of your CV but that will help get yours to the top of the pile. The more specific the better. We have a wide ranging collection of job and recruitment blogs and here specifically is our CV & Resume section.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:13:01 PM by forum admin » Report to moderator   Logged

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »

I've only heard of this making several copies of ones CV in recent days. It does make sense but only if you have lots of jobs in your history surely?
Gota
having fun

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 12:13:21 PM »

I think that would be correct.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace