Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

April 23, 2014, 09:42:31 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityGeneral stuff (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Workers Spend Up To Half Their Day On The Internet
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Workers Spend Up To Half Their Day On The Internet  (Read 2437 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: August 25, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »

A study by Cranfield University has shown that some employees and workers spend up to half of each working day using the internet for personal reasons, such as emailing, interacting on social networking sites and flirting online.

The study explored technology usage from the context of how individuals spend their working and social day overall. The study surveyed 1,200 respondents, ranging from lower income groups to top managers and directors. Responses were divided into four separate profiles which were examined in terms of technology adoption, work related usage, personal-related usage, pleasure orientation and addiction to ICT.

The study also revealed that almost 50% of the respondents use work computers for personal reasons. As many as 70% of people categorised as “young, capable and ambitious” admitted to spending up to 24% of their time browsing the internet for personal reasons, although many stated there were also some work related reasons for doing so.

“Shockingly,” said Professor Andrew Kakabadse, “over 70% of the group that are ‘young, autonomous, personally well connected and sensitive’ indicated that they spend up to 50% of their working day accessing social network sites such as Facebook and MySpace to satisfy their social / personal needs.”

Report to moderator   Logged

Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »

This is something that's been discussed here too but really......half the day? I mean that's a lot of time huh? How do people get away with this sort of stuff surely they're not doing as much work as other people in the same office...

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »

Half of the day seems extraordinarily excessive. I could understand reading perhaps an hour at the most but half the day? Somebody must be aware of the low productivity of these workers? Surely?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »

I thought something similar. How on Earth could you waste half your working day and get away with it?

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »

The internet was opened up to us recently where as previously we couldn't access it at all but we can only look at it between calls so it wouldn't be possible to waste half of my day surfing much as I might like to  Grin.
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 12:46:26 PM »

I think employees have always found excuses not to work at work. Whether it's chatting with colleagues by the water cooler or fiddling their flexi time sheet. Nowadays it seems the chatting with colleagues is done online. Half a day does seem excessive though. 
rosszero
just starting

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »

I'm going to say that it depends on the type of job to what type of time these people can spend getting away with browsing the internet. A general admin employee could probably get away with it to an extent, where as a web developer couldn't because there are deadlines involved etc.

Employer Branding? - www.360inspire.com
Human Resources Philippin
just starting

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:33:32 AM »

I spend almost a day in the internet because my work is internet base I do SEO to some websites

hr consulting philippines
Staffing Agency Makati
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »

I spend the whole day online too. Do you enjoy it? That is, do you find it easy to stay away from all the things that could so easily distract?

Human Resources Philippin
just starting

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 04:02:26 AM »

Productivity of workers decrease because of having so many things to be entertained with in the internet. Though, majority states that using computer for offices is much convenient than having paper works. They must find computers handy using this gadget and spending the most of their time in front of it. 70% of yuppies or young professionals was said to be using to social networking sites. They maybe doing this to widen th    eir contacts because contacts are very important in business

hr consulting philippines
Staffing Agency Makati
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace