Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

October 20, 2014, 10:43:55 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumRecruiters, Employers & Suppliers CentreGeneral employer topics (Moderators: HireScores.com admin, HireScoresMark)Employer Vigilance Advised, As More Candidates Lie On CVs
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Employer Vigilance Advised, As More Candidates Lie On CVs  (Read 4056 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: August 13, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »

Employers and recruiters are being warned to double check information in job candidates’ CVs, as new research reveals that, as job competition rises, more people are being tempted to lie about their qualifications.

The research from Backcheck, a background checking firm, found over a 50% increase in lies told on candidates’ CVs in recent months. They compared the six months between September 2008 and March 2009 with the same period in the previous year and found there was a 54% increase in lies about candidates' employment history and a 50% increase in lies about education history from people coming from the banking sector.

In the retail sector, over one third of candidates’ CVs included false references.

Chris Hawkins, Assistant Vice President of Operations at BackCheck, said:

"In a recession candidates want impressive CVs, but sensible employers are those who are checking that what is on them is true."

Earlier this year, research from the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors (CIEA), suggested that one in three people lie on their CVs. Common fibs included inventing exam qualifications and citing work experience that never took place. However, the most common thing is to exaggerate a degree qualification.
Report to moderator   Logged

Gota
having fun

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »

I was just reading a story about how important it is to have a fantastic CV, and then I come across this one about more and more lies on a CV.

I assume the two are more related than they should be?
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »

I would've thought that if there's this much pressure to have a perfect CV and with jobs seemingly few and far between that they jump to adding lies to one's CV would be very tempting.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »

I never have but I have been tempted.
Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »

If it was a harmless white lie. Ok. Ultimately it's when you are doing the job that you prove your worth. If you need a little extra help getting in the door I don't see what's wrong with that.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:28:35 PM »

Surely that's cheating though? It's not fair to the other job candidates?
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 04:47:24 PM »

To lie on a CV to me is the same as lying in an exam. If you get a job based upon a lie or a series of lies you don't deserve that job.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »

That's about it indeed. I can understand people desperately wanting a job and can almost understand why somebody would lie on their CV but just because so many people seem to be doing it that doesn't mean it's harmless.

Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 05:55:41 PM »

Hmmmm. You have to do what you have to do to get a job if you are desperate though. Who is this really hurting? Except maybe yourself if you get found out?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »

Surely other candidates for the job who have been honest on their CV. It's like cheating in a race.

Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:55 PM »

I agree for everybody to get a fair crack of the whip the playing field must be level. If one person lies although it may be understandable it's like blindfolding another runner in the race. I don't think this will ever be stopped as people are usually so desperate to get a particular job that they will do just about anything. I admire that drive it's just a shame it puts others at an unfair disadvantage.
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 04:30:36 PM »

But for all you know everybody at an interview may have lied slightly on their CV so it's never going to be a fair playing field as you say. How do we know? Maybe if we all lie a little or exaggerate that would be this fair playing field.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 03:03:09 PM »

That hardly seems right. There's no point in cheating if it isn't going to help you get ahead  Grin.
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »

Is that a joke? I think it probably was.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »

I'd do anything to get a job if I was sure I could actually do the job in question.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace