Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

9182 Posts in 2295 Topics- by 184 Members - Latest Member: benjonesaa

September 23, 2014, 07:19:39 AM
HireScores.com Recruitment ForumForum CommunityNews & Information (Moderator: Forum Management)Retailer Creativity To Boost Jobs
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Author Topic: Retailer Creativity To Boost Jobs  (Read 1366 times)
forum admin
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« on: July 23, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »

The creativity shown by retailer and employer Argos moving into online music and sales, along with HMV’s entry into the live music market, will boost recruitment and jobs in the sector, according to recruiters.

Peter Burgess, director at Retail HR, told Recruiter that such innovation was how British retailers would emerge from this recession.

“Both those retailers are highly innovative in normal times.  In a downturn like this it makes companies become more creative and in the process, creates more jobs.”

Steve Walters, managing director at Faces Bespoke Retail Recruitment Consultancy, adds: “Because the margins in the record industry are quite small, a lot of the record associated businesses are moving hard into retail. You will find a lot more of that in the next year. It is going to be much more of a trend because of the margins. There will be good opportunities in the music industry for recruitment.”
Report to moderator   Logged

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »

Seems like if anything moving sales online will get rid of jobs rather than create them.

They will need less shops eventually because more people will buy on the web.
ktweeden
settling in

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »

I agree. Surely that wont help increase employment? Also, the employment it does create will be very specific I would assume, targeted to web developers and such. Not that that is a bad thing, but far fewer people could fill that roll compared to an in store sales position.
Gota
having fun

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:13:23 PM »

Exactly. It says jobs in the sector will be boosted but what sector does it mean?
Robin Tetley
Administrator
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »

I assume it means the "online" sector? If that's even a sector. Instead of people working in a shop they'll be working in a warehouse.

Jonathan
having fun

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »

And surely they will need less people to work in a warehouse than in shops so I'm still not sure what sector will be boosted here.
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:13:47 PM »

But if jobs will be created to deal with this online demand surely the important thing is that jobs are in fact being created no?
Bob
somewhat obsessed

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »

I think what was being got at was that a certain number of jobs would be lost for a certain number of other jobs to be created. So in the grand scheme of things probably no difference.
Malcolm
having fun

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 05:35:41 PM »

The article says that this move online will boost recruitment so I'm sure it will. Any job is a job in this day and age.
Pages: [1]
Send this topicPrint
Jump to:  

Find out more about hirescores recruitment scoring
Theme orange-lt created by panic customised by creospace